Full-Time Associate Director of Accounting
The Associate Director of Accounting will support the Senior Director of Accounting on all aspects of bookkeeping/accounting functions including, but not limited to, supporting the schools/Home Office throughout the year, annual audit process and working closely with the Finance team. The Associate Director of Accounting will work closely with the members of the team to assist with team initiative, projects, and reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements bookkeeping and accounting functions for Uncommon Schools, its subsidiaries and schools:
- Develop and maintain financial record keeping and reporting systems
- Process payroll, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements and general ledger functions
- Produce monthly financial statements including balance sheets, profit/loss statements, and general ledger using the accounting system
- Prepare and post journal entries including yearly closing entries
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and follow up on unusual items
- Oversee filing of tax forms, (990’s, 1099’s)
- Prepare for annual audit
- Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules on the accounting system
- Perform rigorous quality control on all accounting records and documents
- Enforces and maintains our fiscal policies and procedures
- Assist the Finance team with budget management
- Conducts research required for strategic team initiatives, special projects, and other special requests for accounting information
- Performs various accounting, administrative and other related duties as assigned and required by the role
Reports to Senior Associate Director of Accounting and works closely with the entire Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Accounting background
- Understanding of accounting principles and ability to read financial statements
- Experience with accounting software programs. (Sage Fund Accounting a plus; willing to train)
- Skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
- Experience in bookkeeping for a multi-site organization preferred
- Skilled in use of MS Excel.
- MS Word experience
- Strong writing capabilities.
- Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills
- Financial management skills
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
2) Educational background:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in non-profit development, accounting, or public sector finance preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting for real estate transactions helpful, but not required
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.
How to Apply
Apply online: Here