Full-Time Associate Director, Audience Engagement
Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has given more than 400,000 people the chance to record interviews about their lives, pass wisdom from one generation to the next, and leave a legacy for the future. StoryCorps shares edited excerpts of these interviews through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, animated shorts, digital platforms, and bestselling books. We do this to remind one another of our shared humanity, to strengthen and build the connections between people, to teach the value of listening, and to weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that everyone’s story matters.
The goal of StoryCorps’ Marketing & Communications (M&C) Department is to tell the story of StoryCorps and share our content with the world. We are seeking an Associate Director, Audience Engagement to help drive a marketing strategy that creates meaningful and memorable interactions with StoryCorps for the audiences who listen to our stories, watch our animations, record in our recording booths, and use our digital platforms, including the StoryCorps App and Archive.
The objective of this position is to build creative campaigns and to cultivate and grow powerful partnerships that help StoryCorps amplify its message. We seek to encourage audiences of all backgrounds to access StoryCorps content and to inspire them to take part in the StoryCorps experience of recording their stories in one of our booths or using our app.
Under the supervision of the Managing Director, Marketing & Communications, the Associate Director, Audience Engagement will work with special focus on distribution of StoryCorps content, including animated shorts, audio stories and print excerpts, in addition to playing a key role in StoryCorps’ growing efforts to pursue mission-aligned partnerships within and outside the public media sphere. The Associate Director will provide regular reports to the President and CEO on special projects as they arise around media, marketing, and other partnerships.
The Associate Director will also create and lead engagement campaigns to drive use of StoryCorps tools including the StoryCorps App, the Archive, and other training tools. Our flagship campaign is The Great Thanksgiving Listen, an annual call to record that drives teacher and student engagement with the StoryCorps app. The Associate Director will work as part of the M&C team, with the President and CEO, among others, to advance this seasonal campaign and help conceive of future app engagement efforts.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Media Partnership and Project Management
- Create relationships with key strategic media platforms and outlets that will allow StoryCorps to advance our goals for audience reach and targets—with a focus on growing our audience both within and far beyond public media.
- Maintain a database of prospects, contacts, and past partners.
- Research new opportunities and manage leads, as assigned by the Executive Team.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with StoryCorps’ existing media partners, including NPR, PBS, and local affiliates, among others.
- Coordinate logistics and planning to keep partnerships and projects on track, including calling creative meetings with external and internal teams; work planning, documentation, and contracting, where needed; and, at conclusion of partnerships, evaluation, reporting, and deliverables.
App Engagement Campaign Oversight
- Create and carry out major projects and national campaigns that drive user engagement and downloads of the StoryCorps App.
- As project lead for The Great Thanksgiving Listen, develop a thoughtful strategy to engage partners with high potential to drive participation in The Great Listen.
- Lead development of the marketing strategy and creative assets for The Great Listen with responsibility for overseeing team execution across all parts of a multi-channel campaign.
- Coordinate with M&C and oversee a temporary team assigned to carry out this work.
Creative Studio and Content Distribution
- Execute marketing and partner distribution plans for StoryCorps animation and podcast seasons.
- Drawing from the StoryCorps Archive, work with M&C team and freelance artists, editors and creatives, to create content packages optimized for sharing with partners and to be distributed on StoryCorps’ owned digital channels.
- Provide creative direction and editorial support to Manager, Communications for publishing on StoryCorps’ online platforms.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Managing Director, M&C and Executive Team
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- 7-10 years relevant experience, ideally in a media or mission-driven setting, and covering areas such as marketing, client communications, and digital media.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated experience to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Experience and ability to succeed in a collaborative, team-based setting
- Strong computer skills, including fluency in common digital media formats
- Superior organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to work under deadlines, to organize information and handle multiple assigned tasks efficiently
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural humility and experience working successfully with diverse groups of people
- Work history in journalism, content marketing or publishing, with a particular focus on digital or promotions
- Past experience producing content for the web specifically, as well as channel-specific knowledge (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube)
- Familiarity with and affinity for public media landscape
- Knowledge of photography, video editing, and production
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Multi-lingual (orally and in writing)
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.