Full-Time Associate Director of Accounting (Newark)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. Uncommon builds uncommonly great schools by developing and managing regional networks that are philosophically aligned and highly accountable and by designing and implementing “best-in-class” teacher training. The organization has achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Its schools consistently outperform their district schools and are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states.
The Associate Director of Accounting will support the Senior Director of Accounting on all aspects of payroll and pension including associated bookkeeping/accounting functions. In addition, the Associate Director will provide support to the Associate Director of Accounting as required in Accounts Payable, New Jersey schools support throughout the year, the annual audit process and working closely with others to assist with team initiative, projects, and reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all aspects of current and future payroll processing and provide comprehensive quality control to achieve on time, error free payrolls.
- Manage payroll for NJ pension (TPAF, PERS, DCRP) and produce the IROC quarterly
- Respond to payroll data requests by utilizing ADP custom reporting tool
- Manage Federal Grant employee tagging
- Manage Quarter End and Year End Payroll processing
- Learn and support all aspects of the Accounts Payable
- Develop expertise in CharterAP to support user requests quickly and accurately
- Develop MIP expertise in A/P, reporting, and GL maintenance
- Support vendor additions, changes and annual 1099 reporting
- Field vendor requests and reaches out to schools as needed
- Support Accounts Payable review and cleanup including encumbrances
- Create all payroll related journal entries
- Manage Grant payroll allocations
- Respond to GL data requests by utilizing MIP reporting
- Prepare for and support the annual audit
Reports to Senior Associate Director of Accounting and works closely with the entire Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Accounting background
- Understanding of accounting principles and ability to read financial statements
- Experience with accounting software programs. (Abila MIP Accounting a plus; willing to train)
- Skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
- Experience in bookkeeping for a multi-site organization preferred
- Skilled in the use of MS Excel
- MS Word experience
- Strong writing capabilities
- Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Financial management skills
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in non-profit development, accounting, or public sector finance preferred.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and public sector finance.
- Experience in New Jersey K-12 public education preferred.