Full-Time Associate, New Product Expansion (Santa Barbara)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position begins Fall 2018 – Santa Barbara
About Quarter Zero (QØ)
We believe that every person has potential. The potential to create, disrupt and thrive. But for that potential to be fully realized it needs to be affirmed and developed starting at an early age.
At Quarter Zero, we exist to help young people power their potential. We do this by creating an immersive, real-world entrepreneurial environment where high school students can work hand-in-hand with top industry advisors to shape and guide their passions and ideas. Our learning and development experiences challenge our participants to become problem solvers, equipped with the skills to thrive in a competitive and rapidly changing world. We provide hands-on entrepreneurial programs through our flagship Catapult Incubator and Startup Bootcamp.
About the Role
Over the past five years, we’ve been approached by schools, companies, alumni, business schools, parents, and even governments, who love our mission and would love to work with us in some capacity. Until now, we’ve said no to these requests in an effort to protect our flagship program. In an effort to explore the possibilities aligned with our mission and core strengths of working with young people and powering their potential, we are building our first New Product Expansion team.
You will be a key player on the team, helping to implement a variety of new initiatives, experiments, and products. This team will ultimately help us determine which new products to pursue in the long term.
We’re looking for someone who is a doer and thrives in the unknown of experimentation. In order to pivot and shape our multiple offerings, we want someone who likes spending more time out there talking to prospective customers than working behind a screen. We are looking for someone who can multitask well, juggle different projects, and communicate effectively with various audiences. This is a role that requires you to get into the weeds & is perfect for those who are eager to learn the ins & outs of what it takes to scale a startup.
This role will report directly to the Director of New Product Expansion and will collaborate closely with the growing New Product Expansion team & the Marketing team. You will often play a “jack of all trades” role and wear multiple hats.
– Compile initial research reports on the competitive marketplace, existing products, etc.
– Conduct customer interviews with key players to better understand their needs and perspectives
Building Minimum Viable Product:
– Assist the team in building the initial versions of new products
– Execute initial tests and record results in a quantifiable way
– Provide results to the team in order to make data-driven decisions on next steps & iterations
Tactical Implementation Across Broad Scope:
– The areas of new product expansion may fall across a broad scope. For this reason, your responsibilities may vary greatly in the day-to-day. The areas may include:
– Events: New in-person programs & formats
– Schools: Providing support & value to schools and educators
– Alumni: Engaging our 400+ alumni with opportunities
– Partnerships: Pursuing the right strategic partnerships with companies and undergraduate & business school partners
– Online: Providing virtual curriculum and programming
Qualifications and Skills:
– 1+ year of experience in business
– Experience in product development, experimentation, or R&D is a plus
– Experience working in a startup environment is a plus
– Experience working in a small team environment is a plus
– Excellent at executing and implementing plans
– Ability to communicate with a variety of different audiences ranging from high school students to bureaucratic establishments
Quarter Zero is a fast-paced early stage company run by a small and nimble team. We work hard because we believe in our mission, but we also work smart because we believe in efficiency. We value a flat hierarchical structure and encourage our team members to actively look for opportunities where they can grow in their experience and voice their insights.
At QØ, we are committed to diversity both in our programs and in our company. We often ask our students to leverage their unique perspective to solve a problem. Similarly, we are looking for individuals who can leverage their unique backgrounds to drive greater impact and serve a diverse set of students.
We’re looking for team members who have:
– A strong interest in startups, social impact, and youth development.
– Ownership and self-sufficiency. We value those who can be independent, make smart decisions on the fly, and be highly adaptable.
– Humbleness & a willingness to do a range of tasks from big to small. This is a small startup so every day is different and no job is below any of us.
– A desire to see the impact of their work directly & immediately. This is not a place where you work for “the man” or are just a “cog in the wheel.”
– The appetite to work hard with a small team and ambition to grow into future leadership positions as the company grows.
– A great sense of humor! We love a good laugh and a jovial spirit.
Santa Barbara, California.
Given the nature of our work, this role may require traveling to our programming events and/or various business trips. All business-related travel expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) will be covered by QØ.
- Benefits: Healthcare allowance & reimbursement plan, commuter benefits, and more.
- Grow With Us: You’ll be given a vast amount of responsibility & independence. We hate micromanaging and want you to take ownership.
- Close-Knit Small Team: A flat structure, annual retreats, team activities, and open feedback make for a happy work environment.
- Flexible Vacation Culture: We recognize that rest is important so we don’t have a culture of nitpicking exact days.
- Remote-Friendly: Whether it’s working from home when the weather is terrible or working from your hometown-home to visit your family.
- Social Impact: We operate as a social enterprise and love that our work impacts the next generation of entrepreneurs & startups.
NOTE: Due to the close proximity to minors, candidates being considered for the position will be required to pass a criminal background check during the interview process.
How to Apply
To formally apply for this position, please email JoinOurTeam@QuarterZero.com with the following:
1) job title you are applying for; 2) Santa Barbara office; 3) cover letter (300 words max); 4) resume; and 5) how you heard about this position.