Internship Burro Product Design Fellowship 2019
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Burro® sells quality products that help our customers save more and earn more. From simple innovations like our home solar power systems, to the world’s most fuel-efficient gari roaster, the Elephant™, Burro products deliver better living affordably. Our collaborative, innovative, and dynamic team is making a real difference in the lives of real people across Ghana and beyond. You’re welcome to join in the magic Burro is creating.
Burro fellowships offer an opportunity to accelerate a project vital to our mission while immersing yourself with Ghanaians from all walks of life. Burro elevates, celebrates, and develops smart, collaborative, problem-solving, hard-working, civic-minded, entrepreneurial leaders—so expect fast-paced learning, an inspirational mission, and regular demands to step up and live up to Burro’s promise, Do More.
Burro strives to provide innovative, best-value goods and services across a wide range of categories vital to enhancing the lives of our customers. The Product Design Fellow will lead initiatives to evaluate existing and potential product offerings to improve their ability to meet the needs of Burro’s customers while enhancing Burro’s ability to supply them as cost-effectively as possible. Specific duties include:
- Lead iterative prototyping and user-testing of new product ideas including managing partnerships with local manufacturers and fabricators.
- Contribute to ongoing research projects in the agriculture space, with a focus on identifying user needs and pain points, especially in the shea value chain.
- Generate ideas for product opportunities that would be a good fit for Burro’s catalog of affordable productivity-enhancing tools.
- Use and maintain Burro’s in-house prototyping and fabrication space, including supervising student research teams on the use of woodworking, welding, and digital fabrication tools.
- A degree in Design or Engineering, preferably Product Design, with strong portfolio including innovations designed specifically for affordability and functionality at the base of the pyramid
- Demonstrated history of honesty, strong work ethic, self-motivation, and problem solving
- Manual and digital fabrication experience (CAD, woodworking, welding etc.)
- Any experience with agriculture or food processing is a plus, especially in the shea butter, palm oil, cassava, and vegetable farming value chains
- Willing to relocate to Koforidua, Ghana for a minimum of six months
- Passion for delivering on Burro’s promise—Do More
One round-trip ticket to Ghana, housing, and in-country transportation are provided, as well as a modest monthly stipend to cover food and other sundry expenses. Fellows are encouraged to look for additional sources of funding outside of Burro, and Burro will assist in that process however possible.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 22nd October, 2018. Email should have the subject line: Product Design Fellowship