Internship Burro Product Design Fellowship
Career Opportunity – Burro Product Design Fellowship
Burro® sells quality products that help our customers save more and earn more. From simple innovations like our home solar power systems to the world’s most fuel-efficient coalpot, Burro products deliver better living affordably. Our collaborative, innovative, and dynamic team is making a real difference in the lives of real people across Ghana and beyond. You’re welcome to join in the magic that Burro is creating.
Burro fellowships offer an opportunity to accelerate a project that is vital to Burro’s overall mission and goals while experiencing a professional and cultural immersion; working with Ghanaians from all parts of society. Burro elevates, celebrates, and develops smart, collaborative, problem-solving, hard-working, civic-minded, entrepreneurial leaders—so expect, fast-paced learning, an inspirational mission, and regular demands to step up and live up to Burro’s promise, Do More.
Burro strives to provide innovative, best-value goods and services across a wide range of categories vital to enhancing the lives of our customers. The Product Engineering Fellow will lead initiatives to evaluate existing and potential product offerings to improve their ability to meet the needs of Burro’s customers while enhancing Burro’s ability to supply them as cost-effectively as possible. Specific duties include:
- Survey potential offerings in agriculture, assess target-customer needs and functional requirements, identify opportunities for innovation
- Lead iterative prototyping and user-testing of new product ideas including managing partnerships with local manufacturers and fabricators
- Manage Burro’s in-house prototyping and fabrication space, “The Garage”, including supervising outside groups on use of woodworking, welding, and digital fabrication tools.
- Contribute to an initiative to define, fund, charter, and administer a new Ghana-based, Institute of Design for Development in collaboration with appropriate partners including institutions of higher learning in engineering, agriculture, and medicine. Collaborate with student groups worldwide to advance product development projects.
- A degree in Design, preferably Product Design with strong portfolio including innovations designed specifically for affordability and functionality at the base of the pyramid
- Demonstrated history of honesty, strong work ethic, self-motivation, and problem solving
- Manual and digital fabrication experience (CAD, woodworking, welding etc.)
- Willing to relocate to Koforidua, Ghana for a minimum of six months
- Passion for delivering on Burro’s promise—Do More
One round-trip ticket to Ghana, housing, and in-country transportation are provided, as well as a modest monthly stipend to cover food and other sundry expenses. Fellows are encouraged to look for additional sources of funding outside of Burro, and Burro will assist in that process however possible.
How to Apply
To Apply: Send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4th March, 2017. Email should have the subject line: Product Design Fellowship