Full-Time Chief Financial Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT RSF SOCIAL FINANCE
In a financial sector long characterized by its opacity, anonymity, and emphasis on the short term, RSF Social Finance’s integrated capital approach inspires trust and confidence among investors, entrepreneurs, and the communities they serve. Since its inception in 1984, RSF has earned its place at the top tier of global social finance organizations, having invested over $500 million in a diverse portfolio of social enterprises. RSF provides opportunities for people to activate their money in alignment with their values. RSF is on a mission to build an associative and regenerative economy, one that considers the needs of all participants, recognizes interconnectedness, and leads to greater human dignity.
ABOUT THE CFO OPPORTUNITY
The CFO candidate will thrive in an environment where financial innovation is a central tenet. The CFO will oversee all aspects of RSF’s finance, accounting, and financial risk management, including the financial sustainability and protection of RSF’s assets. Beyond these primary duties, the CFO will also contribute thoughtfully to enhancing the organization’s internal operations, external offerings, and business model strategy, and will serve as a thought partner to other team members, helping bring to life new and emerging concepts to better achieve RSF’s mission.
This role is designed for a seasoned yet innovative finance executive with a deep dedication to social impact, social change, and healing the economy. Additionally, this is a tremendous opportunity for someone who enjoys straddling both the strategic and tactical realms, functioning as a true financial strategist as well as an operational architect. The CFO will oversee an ongoing reinvigoration of the finance and accounting department, providing hands-on leadership and support throughout the process.
Further, the CFO will inspire a vibrant connection to RSF’s vision, mission, and values, and will contribute to creating a world in which relationships are prioritized, and money serves the highest intentions of the human spirit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Management & Planning
- Serve as RSF’s key financial leader and as a strategic thought-partner to the CEO. Provide financial guidance related to the development and implementation of RSF’s strategic objectives.
- Oversee the Finance and Accounting functions.
- Assess and revise financial policies and processes, and ensure documentation and compliance.
- Lead and guide financial planning, forecasting, and budgeting. Ensure budget discipline.
- Serve as primary liaison to RSF Board Audit Committee.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Team.
- Oversee all cash management activities.
- Oversee the audit and tax return processes for all RSF corporate entities.
- Lead, maintain and enhance relationships with RSF’s banking partners.
- Lead Accounting & Finance department through process improvements, technology and database adoption/transitions, and systems integration. Inform RSF’s long-term technology planning.
Financial Reporting & Operations
- Oversee design, production and delivery of financial reporting to: Internal stakeholders (Board and Staff), External stakeholders (investors, donors, social enterprise clients, and wealth managers), The public (marketing collateral and annual reports).
- Lead the development of financial business analytics in service to RSF’s strategic objectives.
- Serve as a resource to team leaders about budgeting and forecasting.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Chief Investment Officer, and with the Social Enterprise Lending, Investing, and Philanthropic Services teams.
Risk Management & Compliance
- Advise credit and loan operations about industry best practices for credit policy, credit quality goals, underwriting, documentation, servicing, portfolio management, and compliance. Help to sustain RSF’s strong credit culture.
- Participate in Social Enterprise Lending Credit Committee, Investment Committee, and Troubled Loan Committee.
- Partner with the Portfolio Manager to effectively measure, monitor, and control investment/loan portfolio risk.
- Ensure organizational adherence to the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) policy. Approve annual ERM assessment report and present to RSF CEO and the RSF Audit Committee.
- Provide direction to manage for liquidity risk and interest rate risk.
- Provide guidance and partnership to other risk management and compliance activities including those overseen by RSF’s General Counsel: securities compliance, corporate registrations, and lenders license registrations.
- Ensure that transactions and business operations do not jeopardize RSF’s charitable status.
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage cost analysis. Inform business continuity planning.
- 15+ years of experience in management roles with significant decision-making, financial, strategic planning, operational, information technology, and administration responsibilities.
- Excellent understanding of both for-profit and non-profit accounting and business models.
- Strong knowledge of macroeconomic conditions, and the key financial instruments in the social finance, impact investing, and philanthropic fields.
- Strong technical understanding of banking terms, commercial lending, debt/equity structures, credit, underwriting, loan operations, portfolio management, and investment programs.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to effectively interact with staff, clients and prospects, and strategic partners. Ability to communicate complex subject matter in easily understood terms.
- Work well under pressure, demonstrating a culture of accountability in meeting goals.
- Strong leader, mentor, and facilitator who thrives in a team-oriented collaborative atmosphere.
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values that underlie RSF’s work and were inspired by Rudolf Steiner’s ideas regarding associative economics.
- RSF Social Finance is a proud equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity; candidates representing a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
RSF Social Finance has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link. Please refrain from contacting RSF Social Finance directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at RSF@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.