Full-Time Chief of Staff (Santa Barbara or NYC)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position begins August 2018 – NYC or Santa Barbara
About Quarter Zero (QØ)
We believe that every person has potential. The potential to create, disrupt and thrive. But for that potential to be fully realized it needs to be affirmed and developed starting at an early age.
At Quarter Zero, we exist to help young people power their potential. We do this by creating an immersive, real-world entrepreneurial environment where high school students can work hand-in-hand with top industry advisors to shape and guide their passions and ideas. Our learning and development experiences challenge our participants to become problem solvers, equipped with the skills to thrive in a competitive and rapidly changing world. We provide hands-on entrepreneurial programs through our flagship Catapult Incubator and Startup Bootcamp.
About the Role
The Chief of Staff is a critical role, enabling the Founder & CEO to work more effectively with internal and external stakeholders. This is a facilitative role that will enable our company to scale in a healthy manner & ensure that the right problems are being tackled first.
As the right hand to the CEO, you must be excellent at anticipating needs, solving problems quickly, and understanding people well. You will play a leadership role internally by serving cross-functionally on human resources, team planning, and accounting. In this regard, you will need to keep a pulse on the rest of the team & be aware of morale, how people are doing, etc. Externally, you will help represent the CEO to major stakeholders by crafting investor updates, running the budget, and planning meetings.
For the first five years, our founder has been an integral part of every component of our business. This will change with the hiring of key senior roles and it will be your job to step in when needed to help with this transition. Additionally, you will need to be a strong independent thinker and have the confidence to push back against the CEO when necessary.
You would be a great fit for this role if you are extremely organized, process-oriented, and have a keen sense for reading people. You also should be excited about taking ownership of new ideas & special projects that don’t have a defined owner and have a willingness to learn things you don’t know to figure it out.
Right Hand to Founder & CEO:
– Manage CEO’s communication whether drafting documents, responding to emails, or scheduling meetings
– Assist CEO in prioritizing tasks, ensuring the right things get done first
– Learn CEO’s decision making skills & step in when CEO is unavailable
Lead Human Resources:
– Assist in the development of company’s quarterly Objective & Key Results (“OKRs”)
– Own all aspects of hiring (planning, hiring, interviewing, offers, onboarding)
– Manage team payroll, benefits, etc.
– Grow healthy company culture by planning team bonding events
Critical Support to Investor Relations:
– Run forward-looking budget & assist CEO in making key financial decisions
– Draft monthly investor updates & play the key role in future fundraising
Accounting and Legal Support
– Collaborate with bookkeeping team to finalize monthly report
– Work with internal team to approve and categorize monthly expenses
– Lead process of managing and responding to misc. legal items as they arise (copyrights, contracts, etc.)
– Take ownership of new initiatives that don’t have a defined owner
– Learn new skills on the fly & try new things (some glamorous, some not)
Qualifications and Skills:
– 3-10+ years of experience
– Experience working in a startup environment or small team is a must
– Experience working as a right hand support to an individual is a must
– Experience in financial planning, budgeting, or accounting
– Excellent communication skills both written & verbal
– Strong interpersonal skills
– Willingness to get the job done no matter what it takes
Quarter Zero is a fast-paced early stage company run by a small and nimble team. We work hard because we believe in our mission, but we also work smart because we believe in efficiency. We value a flat hierarchical structure and encourage our team members to actively look for opportunities where they can grow in their experience and voice their insights.
At QØ, we are committed to diversity both in our programs and in our company. We often ask our students to leverage their unique perspective to solve a problem. Similarly, we are looking for individuals who can leverage their unique backgrounds to drive greater impact and serve a diverse set of students.
We’re looking for team members who have:
– A strong interest in startups, social impact, and youth development.
– Ownership and self-sufficiency. We value those who can be independent, make smart decisions on the fly, and be highly adaptable.
– Humbleness & a willingness to do a range of tasks from big to small. This is a small startup so every day is different and no job is below any of us.
– A desire to see the impact of their work directly & immediately. This is not a place where you work for “the man” or are just a “cog in the wheel.”
– The appetite to work hard with a small team and ambition to grow into future leadership positions as the company grows.
– A great sense of humor! We love a good laugh and a jovial spirit.
Quarter Zero has two offices: New York City and Santa Barbara. We have one open position for this role, but candidates can choose which office they wish to be based out of. Please note that QØ will not cover moving or commuter expenses if you do not already live in your city of choice. Given the nature of our work, this role may require traveling to our programming events and/or various business trips. All business-related travel expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) will be covered by QØ.
– Benefits: Healthcare allowance & reimbursement plan, commuter benefits, and more.
– Grow With Us: You’ll be given a vast amount of responsibility & independence. We hate micromanaging and want you to take ownership.
– Close-Knit Small Team: A flat structure, annual retreats, team activities, and open feedback make for a happy work environment.
– Flexible Vacation Culture: We recognize that rest is important so we don’t have a culture of nitpicking exact days.
– Remote-Friendly: Whether it’s working from home when the weather is terrible or working from your hometown-home to visit your family.
– Social Impact: We operate as a social enterprise and love that our work impacts the next generation of entrepreneurs & startups.
NOTE: Due to the close proximity to minors, candidates being considered for the position will be required to pass a criminal background check during the interview process.
To formally apply for this position, please email JoinOurTeam@QuarterZero.com with the following:
1) job title you are applying for; 2) office location of choice (NYC or Santa Barbara); 3) cover letter (300 words max); 4) resume; and 5) how you heard about this position.
To see more positions, quarterzero.com/join-our-team.