Full-Time Chief Operating Officer, Veris Wealth Partners
About the Company
Veris Wealth Partners is an independent, SEC registered, impact wealth management firm founded in 2007 by five partners who share a deep conviction in the interdependence of values and wealth. Veris believes in managing this interdependence with knowledge and intention, ultimately delivering benefits to customers, companies and the world by investing in companies focused on sustainability and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) principles. Veris clients include individuals, foundations, non-profit organizations, family offices, and investment advisory firms.
Veris is recognized as both a pioneer and leader in the field of responsible and sustainable investing, and is strongly equipped to provide solutions for clients seeking to create change through their wealth while meeting financial objectives. As the business argument for sustainable solutions to global problems is gaining significant traction, corporations and individuals are viewing their own practices and those of others with new expectations. Veris believes companies committed to these practices can deliver competitive market performance, while mitigating risk for investors. At Veris, this philosophy of aligning wealth with values to create meaningful impact is central to the company’s identity and culture.
About the Opportunity
Veris has grown impressively with regard to assets, clients, impact, and thought leadership in the 11+ years since its founding, reaching a degree of success and maturity that now calls for thoughtful strategic development to reach the ambitious goals it has set for its future. The COO role represents a tremendous opportunity for a passionate, purpose-driven executive, who will partner with the CEO and other principals to co-design innovative growth strategies. The COO will then steward the implementation of such strategies and serve as an internal champion of the company’s envisioned strategic direction.
The COO will serve as the primary operational architect, building out Veris’ internal capacity to carry out strategic initiatives. Drawing upon their personal familiarity with industry best practices, s/he will ensure the organization is designed and structured for scale, to include standardized and streamlined processes across offices. The result of this work will move Veris measurably towards industry norms for financial performance, create an immensely satisfying client experience, and elevate Veris’ brand as the unequivocal leader among impact wealth management firms.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
The Chief Operating Officer will be a member of Veris’ Management Team and will participate in all aspects of budgeting, business planning and strategic planning. The COO oversees the firm’s administrative and support functions and works with the CEO to implement effective, firm-wide operational policies, objectives and initiatives. The COO manages the department leads who are engaged in supporting the firm’s client service professionals and performing administrative functions. Key responsibilities include:
Strategy and Organizational Design
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the firm’s investment philosophy, sustainability vision and work, product offerings, and operational practices
- Partner with the CEO in designing, executing and managing the business plan that implements the vision and strategic direction of the firm, including long-range capacity planning
- Manage and monitor operations relative to the plan, including making necessary adjustments to the firm’s structure, processes, systems and organizational capabilities
- Direct the organization’s support and administration functions
- Oversee firm policies and procedures, and contribute to human resources, compliance, accounting, and financial controls, as further described below
Operations, Compliance, and Finance
- Champion the development, refinement, documentation and communication of the firm’s processes and procedures, ensuring enforceable policies with clearly identified accountability
- Ensure efficient project management practices and reliable information flow
- Identify, pilot, and incorporate new technology platforms as appropriate
- Create and manage the firm’s operating budget
- Oversee facilities management, office maintenance and tenant relationships
- Manage corporate liability, errors and omissions, and other insurance policies
- Oversee the Compliance Officer, including management of firmwide compliance processes, procedures, and quality control efforts
- Contribute as relevant to regulatory compliance function
- Establish practices to ensure that every Veris client feels they are getting the best, most personalized service possible
- Oversee portfolio administration function and ensure the provision of operational support to the firm’s advisory team
- Manage and systematize information transfer between advisory team and client service team with effective CRM practices
- In coordination with the advisory team, assist in the development and refinement of a unified service model and client service procedures
- In partnership with the firm’s HR Consultant: articulate and maintain employee policies; administer benefit programs; ensure compliance with labor laws; maintain employee contracts and agreements
- Establish Veris as a great place to work with fully functioning HR processes
- Design and oversee the firm’s recruitment, hiring, and onboarding processes for new employees
- In coordination with the firm’s HR Consultant, manage the performance management process and employee coaching and training programs
- Experience managing the departments, functions, and employees of a financial services firm, such as advisor and investment operations, financial technology, compliance, office management, accounting, HR and benefits administration
- Holds extensive knowledge of operations
- Acts as a strategic thinker who is capable of accomplishing high-level goals
- Has extensive management experience and a track record as an effective leader
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to the values and mission of the firm
- Has earned an MBA or exhibits equivalent experience
- Brings a minimum of 10 years of applicable experience to the role
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be determined by a number of factors including educational background and experience. Veris Wealth Partners has a generous benefits package including health, disability and life insurance, and the opportunity to participate in the firm’s 401k retirement plan.
How to Apply
Application Instructions Veris Wealth Partners has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link. Please refrain from contacting Veris Wealth Partners directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at Veris@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.