Full-Time Chief Operating Officer
Callisto is a rapidly growing nonprofit tech startup that has created an online sexual assault reporting and documentation system that helps identify serial sexual predators. The system empowers survivors by giving them back agency in their reporting process, increases the chance that serial sexual predators will be identified sooner, and creates a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are believed.
The current technology provides an online, trauma-informed platform for college students to document and report their sexual assault with three options:
- Create a time-stamped, secure record of sexual assault;
- Report electronically by sending a record to the school; or
- Only notify the school if another student names the same perpetrator.
The system launched 2.5 years ago on two pilot college campuses, and has since grown to 13 colleges and is currently at pilot phase in the entertainment industry.
This survivor-centered approach not only increases the chances that perpetrators will be identified, but also that survivors will experience positive emotional and adjudicative outcomes. Since implementing the platform, reporting on participating campuses has doubled, assaults have been reported 3x faster, and 15% of victims have matched with another victim of the same assailant (meaning they were informed that they were not the only one and connected to the same investigator or legal advisor).
In the next year, Callisto will be rapidly expanding to address sexual assault and coercion in multiple industries, connecting victims of the same predator together and with legal support.
About the Chief Operating Officer Position:
Callisto is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to become the third member of the executive leadership team, joining a Chief Executive Officer and a Chief Product Officer.
Based in San Francisco, the COO will oversee a period of rapid growth, ensuring team coordination, seamless flow of information, legal and financial compliance, and helping to foster and curate a healthy working culture for everyone at Callisto. In other words, this is far more than an operations position. It combines operations with strategy, culture, and growth. This will require the orderly mind and habits of a strong COO, with strategic vision and true leadership ability.
The Chief Operating Officer will oversee:
- Strategy: Help ensure strategic and realistic long-term planning informed by the needs of the team, and break down long-term targets into short-term objectives;
- Operations & Finance: Ensure financial stability and that the internal operations of the organization run smoothly; put processes into place that allow the organization to deliver on mission, performance, and achieve goals
- People: Oversee recruiting and Human Resources; ensure a healthy team culture is created and maintained; nurture leadership throughout the organization
Essential Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience successfully scaling companies from less than 15 employees to over 40
- Combined knowledge of tech focused startups, nonprofit operations and legal compliance
- A love of management and processes from a practical perspective— not a process-for-process sake thinker
- Obsessive attention to detail tempered by extraordinary prioritization skills – knows when to act and when to be patient
- A systems focus and data driven mindset
- A deep connection to Callisto’s mission and an unswerving devotion to creating positive impact in this space
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision and dental insurance; paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave; and a professional development budget.
To apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position here.
Please do not contact Callisto directly. Schaffer&Combs has been retained by Callisto to manage this search. Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, solves problems and provides growth solutions for purpose-driven organizations. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.