About PowerPlay NYC
PowerPlay NYC is a non-profit organization (in New York City) dedicated to empowering and inspiring girls through our one-of-a-kind sport and academic enrichment program. The S.T.A.R.S (Sports Training and Role models for Success) after-school program gives underserved elementary, middle, and high school girls the space to develop leadership and build character through a sports and healthy living program.
PowerPlay NYC is currently looking for skilled coaches who are passionate about empowering girls and has an interest in sports, fitness, and/or nutrition. As a coach, you will get the opportunity to develop classroom management skills, deepen knowledge on youth development, enhance civic engagement, and gain valuable work experience in the non-profit industry.
Candidates should have experience in working with youth and must be willing to travel to sites throughout the 5 boroughs. PowerPlay NYC’s After School programs operate in a three season model with Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions. Each season lasts for about 10 weeks. Programs meet weekly for 1.5 to 2 hours, with two coaches leading the class.
PowerPlay NYC provides paid ongoing training on various topics including but not limited to the latest coaching techniques and positive youth development practices. Coaches will be required to complete a background check and will be subject to completing New York City or State Department of Education fingerprinting and security forms.
- Coach at two STARS after-school program sites (1.5 – 2 hours each). PowerPlay NYC will select the coaching sites, based on coach preference and availability.
- Coach for the entire duration of a season. You can work for one season or commit to the entire school year, which consists of three seasons (Fall, Winter, Spring).
- Follow designated curriculum and collaborate with co-coach in advance.
- Develop lesson plan in advance and share with site and PowerPlay NYC staff in advance.
- Communicate with PowerPlay NYC Program Coordinator regarding lesson plans and any additional needs.
- Communicate with PowerPlay NYC staff regarding site issues.
- Coaches are required to attend pre-season training.
- Coaches must attend monthly program meetings.
- Collect health forms and surveys (pre and post) from Site Coordinator within the designated timeframe.
- Support with data entry of program based surveys.
- Track attendance weekly and maintain program site roster.
- Participate in one organized PowerPlay NYC event.
- Complete online timecard by required deadlines.
Salary ranges from $15 to $18/hour.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Malaika Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter detailing your past experience with sports and education.