Full-Time Communications and Digital Coordinator
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Toxics Action Center, a New England-wide non-profit public health and environmental organization, seeks a smart, hard-working and detail-oriented individual who know that it takes an engaged and active citizenry to make democracy work, hold polluters accountable, and win real results for public health and the environment. The Communications and Digital Coordinator oversees all of Toxics Action Center’s communications and digital organizing and provides the infrastructure and resources needed to win on our crucial campaigns organizing with communities to tackle environmental threats and bring residents together to achieve proactive, positive change.
At Toxics Action Center, we start from the core belief that everyone has the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy community where government operates responsively and democratically. For 30 years, our mission has been to make these rights a reality by organizing side by side with residents who are facing toxic threats to build their capacity and power. We train residents in the skills and know-how they need to run effective local campaigns, while also developing long-term leaders to fuel New England’s progressive movements. Our work has helped groups win hundreds of local victories: we prevented radioactive waste dumps from being built across Massachusetts, won fights against incinerators and landfills and for zero waste across the region, won retirement of four coal-fired power plants in New England, and organized with citizens in South Portland to stop ExxonMobil’s plans to bring tar sands into Maine.
The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building. Candidates must be ambitious, detail-oriented, have strong written communication skills, and have a track record of accomplishment. We value previous organizing experience, including organizing on campus.
We are seeking an organizational builder who is strategic, efficient, systems-oriented, attentive to detail, and an excellent writer. That’s where you come in. You believe in the power of building groups and strengthening communities and have seen that when communities join together to organize they can win against powerful special interests. You are sharp, committed to community organizing and social change, with excellent problem-solving abilities, and strong project management skills.
- Communications, Publicity and Outreach. Increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases, and campaign materials. Track media articles and online presence. Cultivate community assistance referrals from other organizations in our network. Coordinate the development of Toxics Action Center’s newsletters, annual reports, and other key materials.
- Digital Organizing. Work with community organizing team to synchronize online organizing with community campaigns, including testing online petitions. Develop and implement coordinated strategies for email communications to grow our list of online and off-line supporters. Write and edit emails and web content, including calls to action, event invitations and fundraising appeals. Find ways to identify and recruit new supporters, reach new audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Oversee a digital organizing platform project to expand the tools we offer to community activists. Engage online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds.
- Event Organizing. Organize the Local Environmental Action Conference and assist in the coordination of other New England conferences. Help plan and implement staff retreats and leadership retreats for activists.
- Organizational Support. Assure good systems for health and environmental information, organizing work and financial records. Share this information with staff and community groups. Assist in developing and managing budgets and financial records. Manage and track income and expenses. Cultivate relationships with universities to attract interns. Manage the internship program.
- Community Organizing Assistance. Answer member inquiries, provide information and organizing advice on environmental threats, and connect with expert referrals. Opportunity to coordinate a coalition to expand recycling in Boston and provide organizing support to community groups.
- Fundraising. Identify and cultivate donors, assist with grant-writing, and participate in other grassroots fundraising tactics including door-to-door canvassing and letter writing. Increase Toxics Action Center’s membership base by recruiting new members online and managing communication with members. Help manage organizational list growth and acquisition. Ensure that all income from membership, donations, major donor, and sponsorships is deposited and recorded correctly. Depending on years of experience, staffer may also run a summer fundraising and outreach canvass office.
Candidates must be ambitious, have leadership experience, strong written and verbal communication skills, a track record of accomplishment, and an ability to work effectively with all different types of people. The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience. Toxics Action Center offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receives health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
This position is based in Boston.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://toxicsaction.org/page/tac/apply. Direct your application to Sylvia Broude, Executive Director. We’ll review your application, and if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.