Part-Time Communications Specialist (part-time)
Communications Specialist (Part-time, 3 month contract)
Overview: We are seeking a temporary freelancer to manage the foundation’s digital communications for three months (July, August, and September) during a staff member’s maternity leave. This is a part-time position (15-20 hours per week) with potential to work remotely, although being based in NYC is preferred.
Please note that we’d ideally like to onboard this person in June to ensure a smooth transition, so some availability would be needed (roughly 5-10 hours per week, but negotiable).
- Maintain social media presence (approximately 10-15 hours per week)
- Prepare and send e-newsletters (approximately 5 hours per newsletter/e-blast, we’ll likely want to prepare and send 3-4 during the July-September time period)
- Update Awesome Without Borders and the Harnisch Foundation website with new content. Content will be provided. (.5-1 hour per week)
- Admin (1 hour per week)
- 3-5 years experience working in a communications role with a focus on social media management.
- Strong writer, particularly for digital platforms and social media (e.g. you can write quippy, fun pieces like the ones you might find on Bustle or Refinery29, but you would also be comfortable writing an opinion piece for the Huffington Post).
- Fluidity with issues such as intersectional feminism, gender equality, and social justice. (e.g. you understand the complexity and nuance of these ideas, and how to distill the ideas for our various audiences)
- Experience managing social media accounts and demonstrate expertise in best practices for social media (e.g. you are comfortable managing multiple accounts e.g. you know the correct sizes for images on FB vs. twitter vs. Instagram, e.g. you know how to best package content for each platform)
- Basic familiarity with Mailchimp, Photoshop, and WordPress (e.g. you can create a new email campaign in Mailchimp e.g. you can resize an image in Photoshop or create a graphic e.g. you can navigate the backend of a website and make copy updates)
- Track record building and engaging online communities (e.g. you know the value of online engagement to spark change, you’ve grown online communities, and you think beyond vanity metrics when it comes to creating online communities.)
- Some experience having worked in philanthropy and/or with grantees. (e.g. you have a point of view and basic understanding of philanthropy, you have perspective on grantee relationships)
- Knowledgeable of the documentary/independent film space and/or girls leadership space.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and two writing samples (ideally one long-form piece and one with examples of your social media prowess and/or links to social media accounts) to Jocelyn Ban via email at Jocelyn@thehf.org. Please send your application by May 15th. Please put “Your Name + Communications Freelancer” in the subject line. The Harnisch Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment, and we are committed to equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, creed, alienage, age, physical or mental disability of qualified individuals, marital or partnership status, familial status, protected military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information or predisposition, genetic carrier status, domestic violence victim status, sexual abuse victim status, stalking victim status, unemployment or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. The Harnisch Foundation also prohibits discrimination and harassment against individuals because of their association or relationship with a person who has one or more of the characteristics listed above.