Full-Time Community Engagement Manager, University Relations
Title: Community Engagement Manager, University Relations
Reports To: Vice President of Development, Community Engagement
Hours/FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt
Location: East Lansing, Michigan State University
Travel Requirements: up to 10% travel
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not for profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. In the United States, buildOn runs intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through service. Over the last 26 years 100,000 youth have contributed more than 2.0 million hours of service and touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the poverty line. 97% of these students graduate high school even though more than 40% of kids going to the same schools drop out. Teams of youth from our urban programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,200 schools in Mali, Malawi, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nicaragua and Nepal. Community members from every village where we build have contributed over 2.0 million volunteer work days to build these schools. Through our Community Teams initiative, any student from any high school, college or university can organize, crowd raise and go build schools. This year alone, more than forty teams will travel to buildOn partner countries, live with host families in remote village and work alongside parents to build schools.
Overview of the Role
As buildOn’s Community Engagement Manager, University Relations, you will launch and lead a new model to engage universities at the deepest and most meaningful levels. You’ll be embedded at Michigan State University where you will collaborate with select professors, members of student senate, the dean of the business school, and members of the business community. You will help to co-create, credit earning, social impact curriculum for undergraduate and graduate courses. You will team up with affinity groups ranging from student government to alternative spring break and the Greek community. As part of this new model, we will also team up with McKinsey and Company to launch a high profile leadership award for university students involved in buildOn across the United States. Our goal is to engage at least 1% of MSU students in building thirty schools within two years.
This new initiative will be launched from a vast network of universities and high schools that currently participate in buildOn Community Teams initiative. These teams raise funds to sponsor the construction of buildOn schools in our partner countries and travel abroad on service learning treks to help build the schools. The teams work in complete solidarity with the children, parents and grandparents living in extreme poverty.
You will work closely with the Vice President of Development, Community Engagement, and the entire development team. You will assist with the implementation of an annual three-day Stakeholder Summit, which brings together team leaders from around the world and you will have the opportunity to travel both domestically and internationally!
buildOn provides our Community Team members with the tools and skills necessary to successfully organize locally and serve globally. We educate members about the role literacy has in combating extreme poverty. We help develop leadership skills and give students the strategic and technological support they need to make a lasting impact throughout the world.
- Expand and start up new MSU community teams, while building and cultivating relationships with current team leaders, members and donors.
- Build networks with affinity groups such as business fraternities, alternative spring break, fraternities and sororities, and department partnerships.
- Support students in their efforts to launch and present innovative models for fundraising and recruitment for buildOn immersion programs.
- Communicate buildOn’s mission and methodology while rallying large groups of students behind the cause.
- Coach and mentor student leaders to implement successful fundraising strategies while meeting development revenue goals.
- Collaborate with professors and department heads to develop a social impact curriculum.
- Guide an advisory board of professors and business leaders that will contribute to social impact curriculum, social impact internships and will judge candidates for national leadership award.
- Work with the buildOn Community Engagement team to design and implement a premier three-day conference, galvanizing business leaders and university students to share ideas and expand the University Engagement Model.
- Work closely with buildOn’s marketing team to create and implement a campus wide social media strategy.
- Grit: The ability to sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a “never give up” attitude. Strong dedication to achieving goals.
- Fundraising: The ability to raise and secure funds from student organizers and donors to help fuel the buildOn movement.
- Influencing: The ability to cultivate and inspire new students, leaders and donors to join the buildOn movement.
- Relationship Building: The ability to build meaningful relationships to strengthen team and donor retention.
- Self-Motivation: The ability to do what needs to be done, without significant encouragement and support from managers or other team members.
- Organizational Skills & Creativity: Excellent organizational skills combined with the ability to harness creative energy of team members, leaders, and donors.
- Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values.
- Michigan State University (MSU) Alumni strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-5 years of fundraising (or sales), non-profit leadership, and volunteer management experience preferred.
- Direct experience in community organizing with a proven track record of executing comprehensive campaigns, preferred.
- Strong verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Results oriented, strategic “big picture” thinker and progressive problem solver.
- Dynamic and effective public speaking skills are a must.
- A successful track record in cultivating and building relationships with strong follow through.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to work well in both a team and independent setting.
- Salesforce experience and online fundraising platform (Crowdfunding) is a plus.
- International travel experience is a plus.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildon.org
How to Apply
How to apply: Please send cover letter and resume to DevelopmentJobs@buildon.org