Full-Time Creative Associate
+ACUMEN CREATIVE ASSOCIATE
+Acumen is seeking a unicornesque designer-developer / writer with 3-6 years in graphic design, front-end development, and content production.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
Our +Acumen team is building the world’s school for social change – a global learning community for social change-makers. +Acumen is a new initiative started in 2013 with the vision of equipping thousands of passionate people with the tools, insights and community to step up and create change. We do this in two ways:
We offer free and low-cost online courses that help to democratize access to the best tools to change systems which keep people entrenched in poverty
We find the “best” people and connect them to Acumen & each other at scale
To date, +Acumen has reached over 300,000 people from 190 countries through its courses. +Acumen also manages various networks – such as chapters, alumni, and course volunteers – that allow our broader course community to get more involved in supporting Acumen and each other.
Where You Come In
More specifically, you will have the opportunity to:
- Quickly bring product and web content ideas to life using creative design, blogging and copywriting
- Edit web content, emails and presentation materials
- Contribute to email campaigns using your writing, editing and design prowess
- Create social media graphics so fresh they’ll still be dewy when they bloom in user feeds
- Quickly build, test and iterate landing, blog and product page designs
- Design graphics and illustrations for courses, slide decks and one-page presentations
- Upload, post and/or update content to/on various web and social media properties
- Provide ad hoc writing support to various parts of the team
Success in this role will be defined not only by your world-class design abilities but also in your translation of ideas or rough web content into compelling written narratives that speak to and solve problems for our community of change-makers. You should pride yourself on being the ‘go to’ team member not only for those large exciting design and writing tasks but also the smaller, sometimes mundane, yet mission critical, reviewing, editing, posting, updating, and uploading ones.
Who You Are
You share Acumen’s values and believe in +Acumen’s mission. You’re confident in your design and writing abilities and are choosing to apply not out of necessity but because you want to use your talent for ‘more’. You enjoy ‘having a go’ at tasks for which you may not possess sufficient knowledge to complete on the outset and are comfortable with technical documentation and searching for answers. You never feel a project is complete—there’s something more to tweak, a better word to use etc… You believe in the word ‘craft’ and are constantly looking for inspiration, innovative approaches and interesting concepts to emulate and improve on.
- A strong portfolio of creative work (Graphic and web design. Bonus: illustration and/or branding)
- A strong copywriting, blogging or web content portfolio
- Front-end developer experience
- 3-6 years of professional experience
- Proficient use of Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign – Bonus: After Effects or Premiere Pro)
- Critical thinker accustomed to working, problem solving and collaborating thoughtfully in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to collaborate effectively with different colleagues and personalities, at all levels both externally and internally, and across a variety of functions and geographies
- Must be authorized to work in US
- BONUS: Able to create basic motion graphics
Additional characteristics we look for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)
San Francisco, CA OR New York, NY
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
How to Apply