Part-Time Database Assistant
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Database Assistant is a part-time staff member who will assist the Database Manager in the management of the Solutions Story Tracker and Story Fellowship. This role will report to and support the Database Manager, who not only oversees the logistics of creating a high-quality database (data entry, quality checking, refining taxonomies, etc) but also serves as a thought leader in distilling overarching insights from this product.
About SJN, the Solutions Story Tracker, and SolutionsU:
The Solutions Journalism Network (SJN)’s mission is to spread the practice of solutions journalism: rigorous reporting on responses to social problems. We seek to rebalance the news, so that every day people are exposed to stories that help them understand problems and challenges, and stories that show potential ways to respond. SJN trains journalists how to report on responses to problems in the world and continues to serve the journalism community.
The success of SJN’s work has yielded a growing critical mass of solutions stories that needs archiving. In 2016, we launched a curated database of solutions journalism called Solutions Story Tracker, which now contains over 5,400 stories. These stories produce immediate value for the people who come across them, and we understand anecdotally that solutions journalism generates different sorts of conversations that can strengthen citizenship. They form a distinctive, higher-value asset: a real-time view showing how society is adapting to social challenges.
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Self-Starter: You work well alone and with others.
- Driven & Dependable: You always get the job done and strive to get the best result possible with what you were given. You have excellent self-organization and time-management.
- Adaptable: You are able to hit the ground running. We’re a fast-paced organization experiencing a lot of growth, so you should be able to handle changes and learn new systems quickly.
- Detail Oriented: You pay close attention to details, make important observations, and ask critical questions.
- Outstanding Verbal & Written Communicator: You write well without the need of an editor. You are clear and concise in your communications.
- Data Enthusiast: You reveal ways to improve our work through a better understanding of our data and love a good spreadsheet with graphics.
- Authentic Relationship Builder: You are a natural at connecting with people, listening to their needs, and building those relationships with care and thoughtfulness.
- Passionate: You deeply care and believe in using the power of solutions journalism to build a better world
- Specific Skills: Database Management and Reporting; Data Analysis; Microsoft Office; Slack; Google Suite
Database Management Responsibilities:
- Manage the monthly story report process, which includes handling all concerns about rejected stories between staff and fellows
- Create, generate, and analyze reports on the Story Fellows’ work, the efficiency of the sourcing, and mistags submitted by users
- Create and generate quarterly reports on the “State of the Story Tracker” with more detailed data on the stories within the database
- Generate other reports for staff as needed
- Proactively identify new ways to improve analysis and reporting to optimize the efficiency of sourcing, vetting, and tagging stories
- Quality Assurance
- Regular quality checks
- Check recent mistag submitted and where they are appearing
- Report any technology glitches to Website Director (and copy Database Manager)
- System Building and Maintaining:
- Spearhead the development of a more sustainable, efficient sourcing system
- Manage news subscriptions and submit invoices
- Proactively identify ways to improve and optimize our systems
- Schedule presentations with the Story Fellows and SJN staff
- Schedule meetings with Fellows for training throughout the year
- Regularly check on the Fellowship Slack account and answer email questions for fellows that the 2nd year fellows do not answer
- Manage the publicity and application process for the next Fellowship
- Sourcing, story review and tagging, when needed
- Cross-train on management of collection curation to assist Database Manager if needed
- Manages Story Fellows who update the “Featured Stories” section and check to ensure the “Newest Stories” section are tagged correctly in Discover Section
- Reviews Story Fellows collections to proofread summaries and provide a photo, if needed, before making them searchable on our website.
- Other curation related opportunities might arise
Part-Time Staff: 20 hours/week at a competitive salary
Reports to and Supports: Database Manager & Knowledge Curator