Full-Time Development Associate
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
At Toxics Action Center, we start from the core belief that everyone has the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy community where government operates responsively and democratically. For 30 years, our mission has been to make these rights a reality by organizing side by side with residents who are facing toxic threats to build their capacity and power. We train residents in the skills and know-how they need to run effective local campaigns, while also developing long-term leaders to fuel New England’s progressive movements. Our work has helped groups win hundreds of local victories: we prevented radioactive waste dumps from being built across Massachusetts, won fights against incinerators and landfills and for zero waste across the region, won retirement of four coal-fired power plants in New England, and organized with citizens in South Portland to stop ExxonMobil’s plans to bring tar sands into Maine.
That’s where you come in. We are seeking an organizational builder who is a skilled face-to-face fundraiser, efficient, systems oriented, attentive to detail, and an excellent writer. You know that corporate polluters have deep pockets will go to great lengths to avoid responsibility for their messes, and that government bureaucracies are under-funded and slow to act. You believe in the power of grassroots funds to fuel community organizing and know that when communities join together to organize they can win against powerful, well-funded special interests. You are sharp, committed to social change, with an excellent fundraising track record, and strong project management skills.
• Major Donor Program. Implement a strategy of writing, calling and holding one-on-one meetings with current members to ask them to deepen their financial support. Design and print materials for donor meetings and cultivation. Assist the development director in preparing for staff training.
• Cultivation. Keep in touch with top donors and funders throughout the year, creating and sending at least six personalized updates. Engage donors in program and organizational work, such as events or campaign actions.
• Membership Prospecting. Plan, implement and manage two staff canvasses a year to identify new members.
• Event Planning. Identify house party hosts, plan and implement at least three parties per year to raise money and identify new supporters. Take part in the planning of Toxics Action Center’s flagship annual event, the Local Environmental Action Conference.
• Administration. Implement daily, weekly and monthly systems for tracking income and expenses for the Toxics Action Center team, depositing income and requisitioning expenses. Track rates for calling, canvassing and donor work. Process and follow up with failing credit card and installment gifts.
Qualifications: Candidates must be ambitious, have leadership experience, strong written and verbal communication skills, a track record of accomplishment, and an ability to work effectively with all different types of people. The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building.
Salary and Benefits: Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience. Toxics Action Center offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location: This position is based in Boston.
Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.
For more information about us go to http://www.toxicsaction.org/page/tac/about-us
How to Apply
Apply online at http://bit.ly/2oxZWrR.