Full-Time Development Officer
Location: New York, New York
Experience: 2-4 Years Experience
Civic Hall Labs currently seeks a thoughtful development professional to join its dynamic team. The Development Officer will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of our organizational fundraising strategies and partnerships. As a start-up research and development nonprofit in civic technology, our work will provide you with opportunity to network with a wide and unique range of partners outside of traditional philanthropy.
Civic Hall Labs envisions a future where the use of technology by all creates a more democratic, just, and equitable society. True to that principle, Civic Hall Labs is committed to equity and weaving together a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from or who have worked closely with historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families. When applying, please include information about your unique background.
Civic Hall Labs is seeking a charismatic and highly-organized Development Officer to support our organization in developing and executing our organizational fundraising strategies and partnerships. The Development Office will work very closely with Civic Hall Labs Executive Director to identify, cultivate, and manage foundation and corporate partnerships. Experience in moves management, cultivation strategies, and identifying opportunities at every turn will be critical skills in this position. As a new position in a quickly growing research and development nonprofit, the Development Officer will have the opportunity to support the development of our annual fundraising strategies and tracking systems. The Development Officer will also work with program staff to submit and manage grant proposals and reporting.
- Proactively research new relationships for public and private grant funding opportunities
- Incorporate regular research for ongoing and future funding priorities into weekly and monthly work-plans and regularly report out on research findings
- Manage Executive Director and funder touch strategies and calendar all funder meetings
- Design and lead the development of annual organizational fundraising strategies and fundraising tracking systems
- Work with program staff to manage the creation and writing of compelling proposals for general and project-related grants and ensure timely reporting on achievement of program and project goals
- Work with program staff to oversee preparation of budgets, financial reports, and supplementary materials
- Maintain relationships with funders (and prospective funders) by providing stewardship of sponsorships and grants, inviting them to relevant events and programming
- Assist in coordinating meetings and site visits with funders; assist in providing site visits
- Stay current with funding trends in the civic tech community, as well as the broader philanthropic community
- Update database and tracking systems with pertinent information, correspondence, and documents and reports related to donors and prospects
- 2-4 years of experience in nonprofit development, business development, and/or client relationship management
- Experience working in a small, startup-stage organizations; ideal candidate has experience also working in government and/or nonprofit
- Excellent writing ability, including proofreading and editing skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, organize workload, manage competing demands, meet deadlines, and set and achieve ambitious goals
- Ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, including public end-users, government, nonprofits, philanthropy, and corporations
- Familiarity with civic technology
- Familiarity with New York City tech scene a plus
- Familiarity with any CRM required; familiarity with Insightly, a plus
- Must be impact-oriented and mission-driven
- Informed perspective on social justice issues
- Outgoing and perceptive personality
- Sense of humor appreciated
About Civic Hall Labs
As the research and development arm of Civic Hall, Civic Hall Labs is a new nonprofit dedicated to advancing the application of technology for public good. We exist to collaboratively design and build technology pilots that have a measurable impact and the ability to be replicated or scale. We partner with domain experts to advance innovative solutions to major public challenges and run an accelerator for civic inventors and entrepreneurs. Labs is currently seeking accomplished and civic-minded individuals to join our team. We’re looking for dynamic folks who can appreciate the unique challenges and opportunities of designing and developing technology for public good, and who feel passionate about people-first processes and critical evaluation.
Civic Hall Labs structures our work in two programs: THEMED LABS and a CIVIC ACCELERATOR. These two core programs are supported by a variety of INFRASTRUCTURE projects that expand the field of civic tech. Through multidisciplinary collaboration, each Lab creates and tests digital tools that advance solutions to public challenges in arenas like criminal justice, health, urban infrastructure, education, civil liberties, and economic development. Through our Labs, we seek to design and deploy technology for the public, while expanding the impact of civic tech, and modeling civic participation for the 21st century. More on our current Labs and strategies can be found online at civichalllabs.org.
Civic Hall Labs is a member of the community at Civic Hall: the thousand-member community center for civic innovators in New York City. The sunlit workspace in the heart of NYC’s Chelsea District houses the Civic Hall Labs office.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. Civic Hall Labs is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks applicants from many backgrounds. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We look forward to contacting applicants that are the right fit for this position. Once submitting your application, you will receiving a receipt of application email. We will contact you should we move forward with the interview process.