Full-Time Direct Giving Pilot Coordinator
East Africa – primarily rural, with some time in urban cities (exact location being finalized)
One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional professional with prior field experience to run a randomized control trial (RCT) of a direct-giving program model, with roughly 1,000 families. The purpose of this RCT is to inform an experimental direct-giving model with real potential for significant scale.
The RCT will test the transfer of productive products and service bundles to poor households. Example products include pico solar lamps, improved cook stoves, and malaria nets. Example services include pregnancy support, family savings account, and inpatient hospital cover. The RCT will likely also test consumer preference for these products and services, vs. simply receiving cash.
Why direct giving and why transfer products and services instead of cash?
- One Acre Fund believes that a significantly more philanthropic world is possible. If in the future there was a massive expansion in philanthropy, we want to be ready with new models that could cost-effectively deploy billions of dollars. Direct giving presents one such opportunity, and we strongly support research in this area.
- Our core focus remains on revenue-generating programs. However, we regularly experiment with new programs.
- Why not transfer cash? There is already strong existing research around unconditional and conditional cash transfer. We believe our comparative advantage as a field operator is to provide products and services, as opposed to cash, and hence we wish to test this.
- We remain open to a cash transfer option, and part of this study would likely test consumer preferences for goods vs. cash.
- We do believe that products and services do have potential advantages – our current experience with these products indicate they could be income-generating or expenditure-saving; they are currently not available which is why they are not purchased currently; and some products such as malaria nets have positive externalities.
The direct-giving trial coordinator role will oversee the entire RCT:
- The trial leader will work with external academic(s) to design the trial arms. Part of this work will be completed by the time of hire.
- Establish the trials’ key variables and measurement strategy with a critical eye for analytical / statistical rigor and power
- Design trial arms’ product / service offerings
- Create operational strategy – including staffing plan, calendar of operations, supply chain, etc.
- This role must effectively translate theoretical trial designs into actual product and service offerings.
- Example: Figure out how to execute family savings accounts in the field for the trial. Possibly investigate the purchase of a biometric ATM, as this is a possible future scale-up option.
- Example: Investigate and evaluate providers of family planning services in the region. Then establish a simple process to give trial families access to the provider.
- Excellent field execution is the cornerstone to success in this role. The role is not only responsible for strategic elements of the trial, but also their effective execution through precise planning and field staff leadership.
- Hire and train field officers and M&E data collectors
- Develop messaging strategy and marketing materials for client enrollment
- Enroll and socialize 1,000 HHs on products and service offering
- Measure 1,000 HHs on indicators with excellent data quality, likely via external measurement firm
- Establish systems and controls for efficient office and field operations
- There will be a lot of “etcetera” including IRB approval, stakeholder communication, etc.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we frequently have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities across many functions.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 2-5+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development and experimental trial design. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Experience implementing on-the-ground, impactful programs at scale. Examples include running a direct-giving RCT, a large-scale campaign in a developing country, or an exceptionally high-quality Volunteer Service program.
- Strong work experiences. Unstructured work experiences are also helpful.
- Analytical understanding required, but deep statistical skills are not required. The ideal candidate will know or be able to easily pick-up the meaning of power calculations, R-square, N, the difference between noise and bias, the value of an RCT design in reducing selection bias, balance checks, etc. However, deep statistical ability is not required, as this will be handled by both our analytical team and outside academics.
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Leadership experiences at work, or outside of work.
- A willingness to commit to living in rural areas of East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role. The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world.
- Language: English required.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Apply directly here: http://grnh.se/73jkah1