Full-Time Director, Brand & Marketing (Santa Barbara or NYC)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position begins August 2018 – NYC or Santa Barbara
About Quarter Zero (QØ)
We believe that every person has potential. The potential to create, disrupt and thrive. But for that potential to be fully realized it needs to be affirmed and developed starting at an early age.
At Quarter Zero, we exist to help young people power their potential. We do this by creating an immersive, real-world entrepreneurial environment where high school students can work hand-in-hand with top industry advisors to shape and guide their passions and ideas. Our learning and development experiences challenge our participants to become problem solvers, equipped with the skills to thrive in a competitive and rapidly changing world. We provide hands-on entrepreneurial programs through our flagship Catapult Incubator and Startup Bootcamp.
About the Role
Over the years, we’ve come to realize that our mission is not just implementing a best-in-class immersive entrepreneurship experience for young people, but something greater, to untap and power the potential we all have starting at a young age. We see tremendous opportunity and power in our long-term developmental approach to talent. As the first full-time addition to our team focused on building our brand & managing our marketing efforts, you will be an essential component to our leadership team as we build and scale our impact.
We are looking for someone who can quickly take the lead on both implementing existing efforts, building a new strategy, hiring the right team, and achieving results with little guidance. You will need to be the smartest person in the room when it comes to all things related to branding & marketing, as well as someone who can effectively manage a growing team.
This role requires you to be strong in both the quantitative & qualitative – we will need you to make data-driven decisions, lead the creation of compelling content, and target a variety of audiences.
Develop Company’s Marketing Strategy:
– Must be able to do both high-level strategy & on-the-ground implementation
Management of Marketing Budget & Contractors:
– Make strategic decisions of how to allocate the budget and focus efforts
– Plan, hire, and lead marketing team (potentially additional junior full time roles + contractors)
– Better clarify & communicate product offerings, value proposition, etc. to different audiences
– Lead creation & collaborate with the designer on assets to ensure branding alignment
– Lead public-facing endeavors and other PR strategies to gain brand exposure
Communications & PR:
– Plan & supervise content creation for various mediums (blog, social media, video, etc.)
– Lead creation, analyze, and iterate on email marketing such as newsletters, drip campaigns, etc.
Data & Analytics:
– Continuously analyze data of incoming student admissions and marketing outreach
– Make data-driven decisions quickly, changing course as needed
Word of Mouth & Referral:
– Evaluate the company’s historical success & create a strategy to better harness our champions
– Create unique strategies to engage or incentivize those within the QØ ecosystem
– Improve the company’s Search Engine Optimization
– Establish & lead paid marketing strategy for non-traditional platforms
– Establish & lead social media marketing strategy
– Augment school outreach & recruitment
– Augment parent outreach & recruitment
– Develop relationships with partner organization (youth organizations, competitions, etc.)
Qualifications and Skills:
– 5+ years of experience in marketing/brand development
– 3+ years in managerial experience
– Proven ability in key QØ channels tactics (schools/word of mouth/SEO)
– Proven track record of running marketing experiments and building established process based on results
– Experience working in a startup – our needs and tactics will look very different than a larger company setting
– Experience working in a small team environment
– Experience in both strategy decision making & acting as an individual contributor
– Ability to tailor messaging to a variety of different audiences ranging from high school students to bureaucratic establishments
– Ability to wrestle with the unknown & relies on quick tests to find the answers
– Excellent skill set of data analytics, Excel, and Google Sheets
Quarter Zero is a fast-paced early stage company run by a small and nimble team. We work hard because we believe in our mission, but we also work smart because we believe in efficiency. We value a flat hierarchical structure and encourage our team members to actively look for opportunities where they can grow in their experience and voice their insights.
At QØ, we are committed to diversity both in our programs and in our company. We often ask our students to leverage their unique perspective to solve a problem. Similarly, we are looking for individuals who can leverage their unique backgrounds to drive greater impact and serve a diverse set of students.
We’re looking for team members who have:
– A strong interest in startups, social impact, and youth development.
– Ownership and self-sufficiency. We value those who can be independent, make smart decisions on the fly, and be highly adaptable.
– Humbleness & a willingness to do a range of tasks from big to small. This is a small startup so every day is different and no job is below any of us.
– A desire to see the impact of their work directly & immediately. This is not a place where you work for “the man” or are just a “cog in the wheel.”
– The appetite to work hard with a small team and ambition to grow into future leadership positions as the company grows.
– A great sense of humor! We love a good laugh and a jovial spirit.
Quarter Zero has two offices: New York City and Santa Barbara. We have one open position for this role, but candidates can choose which office they wish to be based out of. Please note that QØ will not cover moving or commuter expenses if you do not already live in your city of choice. Given the nature of our work, this role may require traveling to our programming events and/or various business trips. All business-related travel expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) will be covered by QØ.
– Benefits: Healthcare allowance & reimbursement plan, commuter benefits, and more.
– Grow With Us: You’ll be given a vast amount of responsibility & independence. We hate micromanaging and want you to take ownership.
– Close-Knit Small Team: A flat structure, annual retreats, team activities, and open feedback make for a happy work environment.
– Flexible Vacation Culture: We recognize that rest is important so we don’t have a culture of nitpicking exact days.
– Remote-Friendly: Whether it’s working from home when the weather is terrible or working from your hometown-home to visit your family.
– Social Impact: We operate as a social enterprise and love that our work impacts the next generation of entrepreneurs & startups.
NOTE: Due to the close proximity to minors, candidates being considered for the position will be required to pass a criminal background check during the interview process.
To formally apply for this position, please email JoinOurTeam@QuarterZero.com with the following:
1) job title you are applying for; 2) office location of choice (NYC or Santa Barbara); 3) cover letter (300 words max); 4) resume; and 5) how you heard about this position.
To see more positions, quarterzero.com/join-our-team.