Full-Time Director, Catapult Incubator Program (QØ Flagship, Santa Barbara or NYC)
Position begins August 2018 – NYC or Santa Barbara
About Quarter Zero (QØ)
We believe that every person has potential. The potential to create, disrupt and thrive. But for that potential to be fully realized it needs to be affirmed and developed starting at an early age.
At Quarter Zero, we exist to help young people power their potential. We do this by creating an immersive, real-world entrepreneurial environment where high school students can work hand-in-hand with top industry advisors to shape and guide their passions and ideas. Our learning and development experiences challenge our participants to become problem solvers, equipped with the skills to thrive in a competitive and rapidly changing world. We provide hands-on entrepreneurial programs through our flagship Catapult Incubator and Startup Bootcamp.
About the Role
Over the past five years, we’ve worked with 500+ students from 40 states and 10 countries and implemented our program 13 times. Our alumni have generated over $5mm+ and are going off to the best universities in the country while also acquiring funding from the top VC firms. Our Catapult Incubator is the pinnacle for what a high schooler is looking for in an immersive entrepreneurship experience. This year we doubled enrollment and plan to do the same again next year. We’re are looking for someone to take the helm as we chart this course. You will play a critical role on the team by sustaining and growing our flagship program.
You will manage a large team, ranging from full time employees to part time summer programming team members to contractors. For this reason, you will need to have excellent managerial and organizational skills with an ability to hire well, lead others, and ensure timelines are being met.
Due to the seasonality of our program, this role will require you to travel extensively throughout the summer (June – August), with many programming weeks back to back.
Recruitment & Enrollment
– Collaborate closely with Marketing team members to provide insights on prospective student desires
– Manage the Admissions process with Event Coordinator to systematize process & make data-driven decisions on changes to the flow
Management of Incubator Team
– Hire & train multiple programming teams with roles such as program managers, facilitators, community team member interns, photographers/videographers, etc.
– Supervise and support all programming teams to ensure events are seamless on the ground-level
– Recruit, onboard, and manage the larger ecosystem of advisors, specialists, guest speakers
– Ensure the ethos of Quarter Zero is properly instilled with all participants and team members during programming
– Oversee & support Event Coordinator in planning all aspects of summer logistics
– Oversee & support Curriculum team members in planning masterclasses, curriculum assets, and learning flow
Growth & Scaling
– Strategize on how to properly & efficiently scale the Incubator in all regards (students, staff, resources, costs, etc.)
– Iterate and tweak the Incubator as a best-in-class product by designing smart feedback loops
Qualifications and Skills:
– 5+ years of experience in leading a product or program
– 3+ years in managerial experience
– Experience in programs and/or education for young people aged 14-20
– Experience hiring and managing a larger team (both full time employees & contractors)
– Experience working in a startup
– Experience working in a small team environment
– Excellent project management skills – this role will require you to oversee many moving parts & guiding your team members to hit milestones
– Understanding of startup methodology, design thinking, and entrepreneurial curriculum
Quarter Zero is a fast-paced early stage company run by a small and nimble team. We work hard because we believe in our mission, but we also work smart because we believe in efficiency. We value a flat hierarchical structure and encourage our team members to actively look for opportunities where they can grow in their experience and voice their insights.
At QØ, we are committed to diversity both in our programs and in our company. We often ask our students to leverage their unique perspective to solve a problem. Similarly, we are looking for individuals who can leverage their unique backgrounds to drive greater impact and serve a diverse set of students.
We’re looking for team members who have:
– A strong interest in startups, social impact, and youth development.
– Ownership and self-sufficiency. We value those who can be independent, make smart decisions on the fly, and be highly adaptable.
– Humbleness & a willingness to do a range of tasks from big to small. This is a small startup so every day is different and no job is below any of us.
– A desire to see the impact of their work directly & immediately. This is not a place where you work for “the man” or are just a “cog in the wheel.”
– The appetite to work hard with a small team and ambition to grow into future leadership positions as the company grows.
– A love for travel. This position requires frequent travel, especially during the summer months.
– A great sense of humor! We love a good laugh and a jovial spirit.
Quarter Zero has two offices: New York City and Santa Barbara. We have one open position for this role, but candidates can choose which office they wish to be based out of. Please note that QØ will not cover moving or commuter expenses if you do not already live in your city of choice.
As a key part of QØ’s Programming Team, traveling is a must! This role requires you to attend the majority of programming weeks- typically spanning the majority of summer months. All business-related travel expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) will be covered by QØ.
– Benefits: Healthcare allowance & reimbursement plan, commuter benefits, and more.
– Grow With Us: You’ll be given a vast amount of responsibility & independence. We hate micromanaging and want you to take ownership.
– Close-Knit Small Team: A flat structure, annual retreats, team activities, and open feedback make for a happy work environment.
– Flexible Vacation Culture: We recognize that rest is important so we don’t have a culture of nitpicking exact days.
– Remote-Friendly: Whether it’s working from home when the weather is terrible or working from your hometown-home to visit your family.
– Social Impact: We operate as a social enterprise and love that our work impacts the next generation of entrepreneurs & startups.
NOTE: Due to the close proximity to minors, candidates being considered for the position will be required to pass a criminal background check during the interview process.
To formally apply for this position, please email JoinOurTeam@QuarterZero.com with the following:
1) job title you are applying for; 2) office location of choice (NYC or Santa Barbara); 3) cover letter (300 words max); 4) resume; and 5) how you heard about this position.
To see more positions, quarterzero.com/join-our-team.