Full-Time Director of Marketing and Communications
Director of Marketing and Communications
Run for Something recruits and supports young progressives running for down-ballot offices in the United States. After launching on January 20 (Inauguration Day), we have recruited nearly 10,000 potential political candidates, activated 2,000 volunteers, and have more than three dozen candidates on ballots across the country. We are an ambitious, hungry team seeking to change the face of politics in America. As Director of Marketing and Communications, you will play a pivotal role in making that happen by leading our visibility and publicity efforts.
You’ll be responsible for building the Run for Something brand into a familiar name among younger generations through innovative, creative, and cost-effective marketing and communications campaigns. We’ll ask you to own the refinement and communication of our brand message across the organization and a broad range of marketing channels to build awareness and loyalty and to maximize our impact and effectiveness. You’ll be the lead point person on media interactions and will manage multiple consultants and volunteers. A successful candidate will grow existing and new relationships to build our visibility, impact, and financial resources.
- Direct our marketing and communications programs and strategies
- Drive brand awareness and cost-effectiveness by continually identifying, testing, and scaling new marketing channels
- Measure the success of marketing programs — both direct and as an influence on the scale and efficiency of our overall funnel
- Lead refinement and evolution of the RFS brand story
- Lead our content marketing strategy to drive awareness, engagement, and retention
- Nurture brand engagement and advocacy through social media
- Lead RFS’ creative development efforts
- Solve problems; experiment and innovate
- Identify, evaluate, develop and improve systems and technology to meet organizational and strategic goals; understand traditional and emerging marketing channels and provide recommendations for adoption
- Monitor trends and ensure RFS regularly conducts relevant research
- Define and stay accountable to measurable KPIs for earned, owned, and paid media; run a data-informed program
- Manage media and content partnerships
- Stay informed of developments in the marketing and communications field
- Lead with purpose
- Provide direction, clarity, and context for staff and volunteers
- Contribute to organizational strategy and culture
- Help to drive RFS’ philosophy, mission, vision, and culture throughout the organization
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from RFS’ core constituencies
- Manage staff, consultants, volunteers, and vendors
- Effectively plan and delegate work
- Manage time and resources to maximize organizational impact
- Oversee development and implementation of systems and processes for training and developing staff
- Provide clear and constructive feedback and create an environment of shared accountability among staff and volunteers
- Initiate contact and liaise with external partners and vendors as needed
- Do you have excellent written and oral communication skills?
- Do you have the ability to influence a wide range of people and build long-term relationships?
- Do you love what we’re doing?
- Are you creative? Strategic? Analytical?
- Do you believe in taking the initiative and running multiple projects at a time?
- Do you have experience developing budgets and/or leading teams?
- Do you like to learn about emerging digital and social media marketing channels?
- Can you roll with the punches?
- Do you operate with the mindset that no task is too small?
- We value diversity at our organization. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
- Strong public speaking skills
- An obsession with A/B testing
- Deeply understand and anticipate the needs/desires of younger generations
- Existing relationships with media contacts and vendors
- Knowledge of production elements such as HTML/CSS, WordPress, or other CMS systems, and other key tools
- Technical project management experience
- Demonstrated experience writing press releases, creating presentations, and interacting with media
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
Note: Professional political experience is not necessary, but passion for the mission is.
Candidates should be prepared to either work from home or in a professional office environment as the organization evolves. Ideally this candidate is based in NYC or DC, but we will consider other locations for the right person.
How to Apply
To apply Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing Badass”.