Full-Time Director, New Product Expansion (Santa Barbara or NYC)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position begins August 2018 – NYC or Santa Barbara
About Quarter Zero (QØ)
We believe that every person has potential. The potential to create, disrupt and thrive. But for that potential to be fully realized it needs to be affirmed and developed starting at an early age.
At Quarter Zero, we exist to help young people power their potential. We do this by creating an immersive, real-world entrepreneurial environment where high school students can work hand-in-hand with top industry advisors to shape and guide their passions and ideas. Our learning and development experiences challenge our participants to become problem solvers, equipped with the skills to thrive in a competitive and rapidly changing world. We provide hands-on entrepreneurial programs through our flagship Catapult Incubator and Startup Bootcamp.
About the Role
Over the past five years, we’ve been approached by schools, companies, alumni, business schools, parents, and even governments, who love our mission and would love to work with us in some capacity. Until now, we’ve said no to these requests in an effort to protect our flagship program. In an effort to explore the possibilities aligned with our mission and core strengths of working with young people and powering their potential, we are looking for someone to lead and direct our new initiatives, experiments, and products. You will play a critical role by helping our team determine which new products to pursue in the long term. You should have an analytical approach to experimentation and understand how to effectively test new ideas.
We’re looking for someone who is a doer and great at making clear and detailed experiments. In order to pivot and shape our multiple offerings, we want someone who likes spending more time out there talking to prospective customers than working behind a screen. We want someone who has the drive to make it work. We need someone who can both create the high level plans and in the first year work implement and adapt as necessary with a small team.
Develop Strategy for New Products:
– Strategize with senior leadership on the new arenas and initiatives to explore & prioritize
– Develop flow and timeline of beginning, during, and end phases of initiatives
– Balance creative vision with realistic capabilities
Management of Product Development Team:
– Lead team in developing strategy, roadmaps, parameters, and milestones to ensure all initiatives are set up for success
– Oversee implementation, testing, and evolution of new products
– Collaborate with marketing team members to allocate resources
Determine Product Successes:
– Evaluate which new initiatives are successful enough to become new business units
– Provide insight for investor relations initiatives to fund the right projects
As a manager of an entirely new department, this role requires you to have the right managerial skill set to encourage the growth and development of your team members. Your team will cover a variety of industries including:
– Events: New in-person programs & formats
– Schools: Providing support & value to schools and educators
– Alumni: Engaging our 400+ alumni with opportunities
– Partnerships: Pursuing the right strategic partnerships with companies and undergraduate & business school partners
– Online: Providing virtual curriculum and programming
Qualifications and Skills:
– 5+ years of experience in product development, designer/user research, or non-technical experimentation/R&D
– 3+ years in managerial experience
– Experience hiring and managing a larger team (both full time employees & contractors)
– Experience working in a startup – our tactics & plans will look very different than a larger company setting
– Experience working in a small team environment
– Excellent project management skills – this role will require you to oversee many moving parts & guiding your team members to accomplish milestones
– Ability to wrestle with the unknown & relies on quick tests to find the answers
Quarter Zero is a fast-paced early stage company run by a small and nimble team. We work hard because we believe in our mission, but we also work smart because we believe in efficiency. We value a flat hierarchical structure and encourage our team members to actively look for opportunities where they can grow in their experience and voice their insights.
At QØ, we are committed to diversity both in our programs and in our company. We often ask our students to leverage their unique perspective to solve a problem. Similarly, we are looking for individuals who can leverage their unique backgrounds to drive greater impact and serve a diverse set of students.
We’re looking for team members who have:
– A strong interest in startups, social impact, and youth development.
– Ownership and self-sufficiency. We value those who can be independent, make smart decisions on the fly, and be highly adaptable.
– Humbleness & a willingness to do a range of tasks from big to small. This is a small startup so every day is different and no job is below any of us.
– A desire to see the impact of their work directly & immediately. This is not a place where you work for “the man” or are just a “cog in the wheel.”
– The appetite to work hard with a small team and ambition to grow into future leadership positions as the company grows.
– A great sense of humor! We love a good laugh and a jovial spirit.
Quarter Zero has two offices: New York City and Santa Barbara. We have one open position for this role, but candidates can choose which office they wish to be based out of. Please note that QØ will not cover moving or commuter expenses if you do not already live in your city of choice. Given the nature of our work, this role may require traveling to our programming events and/or various business trips. All business-related travel expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) will be covered by QØ.
– Benefits: Healthcare allowance & reimbursement plan, commuter benefits, and more.
– Grow With Us: You’ll be given a vast amount of responsibility & independence. We hate micromanaging and want you to take ownership.
– Close-Knit Small Team: A flat structure, annual retreats, team activities, and open feedback make for a happy work environment.
– Flexible Vacation Culture: We recognize that rest is important so we don’t have a culture of nitpicking exact days.
– Remote-Friendly: Whether it’s working from home when the weather is terrible or working from your hometown-home to visit your family.
– Social Impact: We operate as a social enterprise and love that our work impacts the next generation of entrepreneurs & startups.
NOTE: Due to the close proximity to minors, candidates being considered for the position will be required to pass a criminal background check during the interview process.
To formally apply for this position, please email JoinOurTeam@QuarterZero.com with the following:
1) job title you are applying for; 2) office location of choice (NYC or Santa Barbara); 3) cover letter (300 words max); 4) resume; and 5) how you heard about this position.
To see more positions, quarterzero.com/join-our-team.