Full-Time Director of Communications
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reports to: Vice President, Development and Communications
The International Women’s Health Coalition (IWHC) is looking for an experienced director of communications to join a talented team in support of the organization’s advocacy, grantmaking, and profile-building goals. S/he will be strategic, dynamic, creative, and well-versed in the movement for women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights. S/he will have a proven ability to deploy communications to mobilize campaigns, manage and inspire teams, and work collaboratively and proactively, both internally and externally.
This is an important moment for IWHC’s communications efforts, and for the organization as a whole. In a global political environment that grows increasingly more hostile to women’s rights, and specifically sexual and reproductive health and rights, the communications director will fill a critically important leadership position. IWHC seeks a visionary leader who will play a key role in shaping the future direction of the organization, in particular by guiding its next strategic plan, which will be developed over the coming year. The communications director will play an essential role in operationalizing the goals of the future strategic plan to IWHC’s primary stakeholder audiences.
PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTION:
To support and enhance IWHC’s advocacy and grantmaking through high-quality, effective, creative, and bold communications; develop organizational messages and provide strategic communications advice to grow engagement and donor audiences; maintain and strengthen IWHC’s brand identity and voice; and support IWHC’s president and key program staff to represent the organization effectively.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working closely with the vice president, development and communications, define and execute the department’s overall communications strategy and plans in alignment with the organization’s larger vision, mission, values, and strategic plan priorities.
- Raise the profile of the organization to proactively reach IWHC’s target audiences on a range of media platforms. Create campaigns that effectively reach new audiences, build a base of supporters, and raise the visibility of the sexual and reproductive health and rights movement globally.
- Serve as executive editor for communications materials, including the website and digital communications, print and online publications, and other marketing materials to ensure clarity and consistency in the IWHC voice for segmented audiences.
- Play a key role on IWHC’s Senior Management Team.
- Mentor and provide guidance and support for the Communications team.
- Oversee a Communications team of three to:
- Ensure IWHC’s proactive presence and reach in the US and international media; encourage and shape media coverage of IWHC’s issues.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with relevant journalists, outlets, and consultants, consistently growing and curating a list for media outreach.
- Nurture and grow IWHC’s digital media strategy and presence (e.g., social media, blogs, website).
- Oversee the strategic direction, design, and maintenance of IWHC’s website.
- Produce IWHC communications, e.g. the Feminist Agenda newsletter, reports, digests, journal articles, blogs, tweets/FB, op-eds, annual report, e-mail alerts and videos.
- Produce specific development materials, including the IWHC Annual Report, IWHC multimedia products, online marketing materials, and messaging, speaker preparation and media outreach for IWHC fundraising events, including its flagship Annual Dinner.
- Deploy communications products that showcase the work of IWHC’s partner grantees in the global South; as appropriate, advise and coach partners on their own communications challenges and needs.
- Train IWHC program staff in strategic communications.
- Oversee the tracking, measuring, and reporting of communications, media, and social media metrics.
- Manage the communications budget to maximize efficiencies and impact.
- Keep abreast of breaking news directly affecting IWHC’s mission and strategize for proactive outreach and timely responses.
- Position President and other IWHC staff as expert resources.
- Ensure quality, consistency, and accuracy of content in IWHC’s public communications and safeguard IWHC’s brand.
- Contribute to a healthy, collaborative, and values-aligned organizational culture.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for and solid knowledge of women’s rights and/or sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- At least 12 years experience in communications, including 6-8 years with a specialized focus in international media, women’s rights, and/or sexual and reproductive health and rights. Experience in communications for an advocacy organization is preferred.
- Substantive track record of nonprofit leadership experience.
- Masters degree in communications, international relations, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to turn strategy into effective action.
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and compelling copy in different styles for a range of communications and marketing materials.
- Familiarity with both US and international media.
- Proven ability to lead, supervise, mentor and motivate a communications team, work closely and collegially with senior colleagues, and manage outside consultants.
- Financial acumen regarding efficient use of budget and resources.
- Experience in managing the development, design and production of websites and written publications; strong sense of design.
- Team player with a successful history of working with multiple departments or program areas and managing competing priorities.
- Multicultural experience, tact and sensitivity.
- High level of energy and enthusiasm, dynamism, flexibility, creativity and sense of humor.
- Ability to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Availability to travel, including internationally.
- Previous work outside the United States or with an internationally focused organization preferred.
- Facility with Spanish, French or Portuguese desirable.
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
Staff supervision: Digital and Marketing Specialist; Communications Officer (media relations and publications); and Communications Assistant.
COMPENSATION: Highly competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous vacation time, and no contribution for employee-only medical, dental, and vision coverage, among others.
TO APPLY: Submit the application on our website or send cover letter and resume to Liisa Sweet-Korpivaara at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (212) 979-9009.
We cannot respond to all inquiries—only candidates for consideration will be contacted. Regrettably, we will not accept phone calls.
IWHC is an equal opportunity employer. IWHC strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, ethnicity, religion, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, HIV status or disability. This policy applies to all IWHC activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge. We are committed to seeking qualified candidates who contribute to the diversity of the working environment.