Full-Time Director of Experiential Learning (New York City)
Under the supervision of High School Chief of Staff, the Director of Experiential Learning uses independent analysis and judgement to develop, coordinate, and supervise the placement and quality of internships and summer learning opportunities for students. The position encompasses two distinct areas of responsibility: internship development and coordination, employer relations and student/school relationships. The position will initially focus on our Brooklyn High Schools but may expand to other regions after the first year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of a viable internship program
- Facilitate student learning by assisting students to secure appropriate internships to enhance the overall academic experience and learn skills essential to conduct a successful job search
- Initiate and build partnerships with employers to develop student opportunities for experiential endeavors locally
- Work collaboratively with faculty and administration to create policy and procedures for ensuring the academic quality and integrity of internships
- Work alongside faculty to and promote internships and summer experiences for students
- Provide optimal marketing strategies to connect students to experiential endeavors and jobs
- Conduct site visits to evaluate appropriateness and relevance of internships for students
- Develop and revise internship policies and procedures
- Identify, develop and monitor current internship sites
- Plan and conduct internship workshops and information programs
- Develop an internship manual and promotional material and updates as needed
- Assess the effectiveness of internship programs
- Visit employers to promote students
- Maintain database administration for purposes of tracking
- Assist in marketing the services and programs through developing appropriate materials as well as advertising special events
- Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to the position
- Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to research and quickly develop knowledge of employer recruiting strategies, job market trends, occupational, career and personal growth.
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team.
- Strong relationship builder who will form bonds with students, school leaders, internship providers, funders and an internal team
Education & Experience Required
- Requires a bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in a high school environment to understand the academic culture and must have the ability to effectively interact with faculty, staff, students, parents, and administrators highly preferred.
- Familiarity with corporate and nonprofit human resource management. Understanding of experiential education and career advising. Experience in presentation of workshops or public speaking.