Full-Time Director of Partnerships (New York, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda or Zambia)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Location: NEW YORK, NY; KIGALI, RWANDA; LILONGWE, MALAWI; KAMPALA, UGANDA; OR LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
GHC recruits and selects organizations that excel in improving healthcare access and health outcomes for people in impoverished communities and marginalized populations. Additionally, our placement organizations identify an area of need that would benefit from two or more energetic and innovative young leaders; have the capacity to supervise and support two or more new full-time staff and can contribute towards the cost of fellows.
Since our start in 2009, we have grown from 8 placement organizations to more than sixty for the 2019-2020 fellowship year. They range from small grassroots organizations to international NGOs like Partners in Health and CHAI to government agencies like the Ministry of Health in Uganda. The health issues they focus on are equally diverse and include maternal and reproductive health, malaria, HIV/AIDS, health systems strengthening and nutrition. To date, we have received extremely positive feedback from our placement organizations who have found great value in having GHC fellows working on their programs. Specifically, 95% of our partners from the 2017-18 fellowship year said fellows met or exceeded goals of their work assignments and 78% said our fellows presented new or innovative ways of doing things.
The partnership recruitment and selection process is an intense and complex process that requires an ability to work with Country Teams to identify and vet organizations who can provide a meaningful experience for fellows and have the infrastructure and approach to health equity that aligns with GHC’s mission. It is an annual process which includes evaluating partnership renewals as well as new placement organizations. GHC plans to expand placement organizations in all of our current countries as well as explore additional opportunities for growth within Africa and to other continents.
GHC is seeking a Director of Partnerships to join our growing global team in one of the GHC offices – New York, NY; Kigali, Rwanda; Kampala, Uganda; Lusaka, Zambia OR Lilongwe, Malawi. The past ten years have been full of exciting and rapid growth for GHC and we are seeking a mid-level professional to oversee the recruitment and selection of our fellow placement organizations, working closely with all of our Country Teams and program staff in New York. The goal of this position is to select a diverse, high impact set of organizations annually who align with GHC’s mission and can provide meaningful experiences for our fellows. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Programs.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a dynamic, global and fast-paced start-up environment where we are passionate about developing effective leaders, care deeply for our greater mission of health equity, and work hard to achieve results. S/he will bring a solution-oriented and client service mindset, demonstrating excellent attention to detail and value for collaboration across a range of teams, cultures, and time zones.
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) is building a new generation of global health leadership. We believe that solving the world’s most pressing global health challenges requires better and more connected leaders who are able to work across traditional boundaries like geography, sector, and issue area to engineer stronger global health systems. We need more than clinicians and providers; we need management consultants, engineers, artists, and architects. We need new leadership voices and new perspectives, especially those representing the populations most often left out and unheard.
GHC competitively recruits and selects emerging leaders from around the world who represent a wide range of skillsets and areas of expertise, all of which are critical to rebuilding and strengthening health systems. GHC is developing a cadre of health equity leaders through a unique leadership development program that utilizes experiential and formal learning methods.
Through a one-year fellowship program, fellows address a wide-range of health issues with high-impact grassroots organizations, NGOs, and ministries of health in Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, and the United States. Fellowship positions are demand-driven, ensuring that our fellows fill real-time health systems gaps and serve to amplify the great work already in progress. Placement organizations benefit from the skills and energy of fellows, as well as the support of GHC. We are building a network of young changemakers who share the common belief that health is a human right.
Strategic Review and Refinement of Placement Organizations Recruitment, Application and Selection
- Analyze placement organization recruitment and selection processes to identify strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for refinement to systems, tools, and communications in order to maximize annual selection of GHC placement organizations
- Based on strategic review, design updated approach for placement organizations processes; ensure collaboration with country offices and relevant NY-staff
- Implement and rollout new Zengine technology platform for use by partners and staff for partner recruitment and selection; support on training needs and help guides
Create Placement Organization Recruitment and Selection Strategy
- Based on projected size of fellowship class and alignment with strategic vision, create a strategy that identifies priority areas of growth which focuses on national health priorities and supports a diverse set of partners across health issue areas, role responsibilities, types of organization and geographies
- Scope new geographic countries and regions for placement organization opportunities
Recruit New Placement Organizations
- In coordination with Country Teams and aligned with annual strategy, identify and recruit potential new placement organizations
- Have in-person meetings to vet and learn more about potential partnership opportunities; create relevant GHC materials to share
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with potential and existing partners
- Track and manage information about potential placement organizations
Manage Placement Organization Application Process
- Based on the refined application process, determine timing and organization requirements of the application process, as well as use of relevant technologies
- Coordinate efforts with Communications team, Operations and Country Teams to allow for sharing of placement organization application, GHC website content, and technology needs
- Ensure Country Teams are kept in sync with application status through regular updates, reports, etc.
Oversee Placement Organization Selection Process
- Coordinate with Country Managers to select placement organizations based on specific set of criteria, including clear identified gap for fellows to fill, supportive supervisors, impactful work of organization and alignment with GHC’s mission
- Discuss and confirm roles with Country Teams to ensure diversity of roles across and within countries as well as manage quality and standardization of final descriptions required for posting
- Manage overall cost-sharing budget to spend on GHC placements across all countries
- Coordinate with Country Teams to finalize cost-sharing negotiations with selected placement organizations
- Work with global programs team to manage role description review process
- Ensure professional and compelling role descriptions are published on the GHC website in a timely and coordinated manners
Placement Organization Management
- Coordinate with Operations team to ensure execution of successful MOU contracts with placement organizations
- Support global programs team on placement organization meetings, materials development and other strategies to most fully support partners throughout the fellowship year
Assessment and Data Analysis
- Coordinate with the Senior Vice President of Programs and Senior Impact and Learning Manager to set goals and metrics for placement organization success
- Work with Senior Impact and Learning Manager to continuously evaluate the effectiveness and impact of our placements
- Iterate on placement organization selection process and be flexible to changing needs based on assessment results
- 8-10 years of partnership development and management, preferably within sub-Saharan Africa
- Extremely competent and proven project manager; experience handling complex projects with multiple deadlines
- Relationship-oriented; ability to engage and build connections across cultures and backgrounds
- Familiarity with process re-design, including incorporation of technologies and approaches appropriate for low-resource settings
- Strategic; ability to conceptualize and understand changing global health landscape, shifting human capital capacity gaps and organizational dynamics
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills – tracking deadlines, coordinating partnership processes across 5+ countries, while maintaining high-quality standards
- Strong work ethic, resourcefulness and high level of professionalism
- Familiarity with public health field, particularly health NGOs in GHC countries
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and passion for global health equity
- Ability to travel 20-25% of the time in East and Southern Africa as well as the US
GHC EMBRACES AND VALUES DIVERSE SKILLSETS AND BACKGROUNDS
We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for applying!
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our online application portal at the following link: https://jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/3f44869f-5463-4067-8b59-97e7f9a15850