Full-Time Director or Senior Director, Finance & Administration
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
LOCATION: New York City (Headquarters)
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Strategy & Operations
The END Fund is a leading philanthropic investment vehicle with a mission to control or eliminate diseases that affect the world’s poorest people, specifically five of the most prevalent neglected tropical diseases (NTDs): intestinal worms, river blindness, trachoma, schistosomiasis and lymphatic filariasis. Since the END Fund’s inception in 2012 through the end of 2017, with its partners in 29 countries, the END Fund has provided: over 500 million donated treatments worth close to $933 million, over 11,500 surgeries for people suffering from the effects of the advanced stages of elephantiasis and trachoma, and training for more than 1.1 million people in NTD control and elimination efforts. In a short time, the END Fund has thus established a strong track record in private philanthropic giving.
The END Fund accomplishes its mission by:
- Mobilizing and investing resources to where they can have maximum impact;
- Advocating for innovative, integrated and cost-effective NTD programs; and
- Facilitating private sector engagement to end diseases of poverty.
The END Fund’s strategic programming and priorities are in line with the WHO and global NTD community’s common roadmap to control or eliminate the most common NTDs. To meet its ambitious growth objectives, the END Fund is actively seeking to expand its community of visionary and engaged philanthropists, foundations, and corporations committed to treating and preventing the spread of NTDs.
The Finance & Administration team ensures best-in-class management of the financial resources with which the END Fund is entrusted, maximizes returns on investments for the sake of our programmatic mission, and ensures highest-quality controls, reporting (both internally to inform management and Board decision making, and externally to donors) and compliance. The END Fund seeks an experienced finance professional to contribute substantially to organizing, executing and monitoring the organization finances, with a particular focus on multi-year modeling, grants administration and financial reporting, working in partnership with a small, high-performing, highly collaborative team.
The Director or Senior Director will be a strategic partner for the VP on financial and strategic planning for the END Fund, a rapidly growing, complex organization that engages in both fundraising and grantmaking. S/he will work closely with the Director and Associate Director, Finance & Administration, to ensure proper execution of all financial management and reporting, budgeting, general accounting, billing, benefits administration, payroll, compliance, and audits, contributing as needed. Internally and externally facing, the successful candidate will have highly effective communication skills to interact regularly with donors and potential donors about financial planning and expenditures of restricted and unrestricted funding, engage staff managers in budget planning and tracking, and explain technical information to non-technical audiences. As a senior member of the department, s/he will develop and recommend strategies to streamline and strengthen systems, staffing, controls, reporting and compliance for the END Fund’s charitable entities in the US and UK. The successful candidate will be mission driven, collaborative by nature, and eager to help manage and grow the END Fund’s unique platform for philanthropic collaboration and grantmaking to end diseases of poverty.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Planning and Modeling
- In partnership with the VP, develop short- and long-term financial and budgetary strategies and plans that deploy the organization’s resources to maximum effect; develop scenario planning tools
- Design and oversee the annual organizational budget development process, and provide support to Investor Relations and Programs colleagues on project-specific budgets
- Oversee grants administration and donor financial reporting, ensuring spending compliance with donor contracts; present financial reports to donors upon request
- Oversee preparation of expense and cash projections for management and the Board of Directors to inform decision making
- As a member of the END Fund’s leadership team, work to promote collaboration and interdepartmental integration in organizational planning
Financial Management and Risk Management
- Serve as a senior Finance & Administration lead, contributing substantially and strategically to all fiscal and fiduciary functions of the organization
- In partnership with colleagues, lead or support the collection, recording, processing, and reporting of all financial transactions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger, and fixed assets
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to provide internal controls and protect organizational assets
- In partnership with the other Director, who will manage the annual financial audits for both the US and UK charities, ensure compliance with all state and federal legal requirements governing non-profit organizations, including tax, legal, and regulatory requirements
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA and/or MBA required
- At least 7-10 years highly relevant experience required, preferably including nonprofit financial management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with a facility for preparing and clearly presenting technical information to non-technical and technical audiences
- Demonstrated understanding of nonprofit organizational structure, accounting and operations, including current working knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and 501(c)(3) provisions
- Ability to anticipate and establish appropriate internal controls in all areas, emphasizing accounting, finance, operations, and software applications security
- Familiarity with best practices in organizational risk management
- Strategic and tenacious about achieving objectives; handles multiple projects simultaneously with excellent follow through and attention to detail
- Motivated by a collegial, entrepreneurial, fast-paced and results-oriented culture, with willingness to “roll up your sleeves” at a lean, high-performing organization
- Passionate about international issues and public health, with a global mindset and perspective
- Ability to work in the U.S. and ability and desire to travel domestically and internationally (estimated travel less than 10%)
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The END Fund seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and benefits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The END Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. It is our policy and intent that all qualified persons be given full and equal opportunities for employment, training, promotions, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
How to Apply
Visit our site to complete the online application.