Temporary Election Canvass Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Work for Progress seeks Canvass Directors for 2018 Election Offices. The U.S. has big problems, and we want to make sure those problems get addressed in November. Over reliance on fossil fuels is damaging public health and the environment, student debt is crippling an entire generation, and consumers are facing risks ranging from data breaches to predatory financial practices. This is your opportunity to stand up and fight for these issues. That’s why we aren’t sitting on the sidelines this election season. We’re taking action. And you should join us.
Our leadership is made up of a team of change-makers who have decades of experience running grassroots campaigns. Since 2008, Work for Progress has knocked on over 3 million doors in support of candidates such as President Obama, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Senator Tim Kaine. Our past election work includes:
- Turning out thousands of voters who provided the difference in close races. In 2016, we partnered with Penn Environment to knock on doors in 3 state legislative districts including State House District 31 where we knocked on more than 20,000 doors to help Perry Warren win by 75 votes.
- Going where the fight is. In 2012, Work For Progress knocked on thousands of doors in North Dakota’s hotly contested Senate election on behalf of North Dakota Fair Share. Our work turned out critical voters who helped elect Democrat Heidi Keitkamp by 2,936 votes.
- Knocking on over 950,000 doors in 2014 in Colorado as part of Colorado Fair Share’s plan to support Senator Mark Udall.
We have a long history of making a difference and intend to do that again this fall.
Work for Progress is an incredible opportunity for both experienced and brand new organizers who want to gain skills in political activism and organizing. And, after Election Day, we work to place our Canvass Directors with organizations working for change.
We know that a strategic field campaign can inspire thousands of people who were not planning to vote to get to the polls and vote, which can provide the margin of victory. So, for the 2018 election, we will run field campaigns to elect candidates who want to make a difference on issues like global warming and getting big money out of politics.
We will launch field offices across the country to make a difference in the 2018 elections. These offices will be in critical states like Pennsylvania, Florida and Colorado. We’ll focus on key races where we can make a difference, both federal races (for candidates for the House and Senate) and in places where the states can lead the way through the Governor’s office and state legislature.
Successful candidates will bring all or most of the following skills and attributes to the position:
– Excellent verbal and written communications skills
– Strong leadership and interpersonal abilities
– Demonstrated recruiting skills
– Proven problem-solving and organizational skills
– A team orientation and focus on results
– An outstanding work ethic and an entrepreneurial mindset
Work For Progress is looking for Director candidates with all levels of experience (including entry level). We will provide you with classroom training and ongoing support so that you have the tools you need to do all aspects of the job, from running a staff recruitment campaign to managing and developing leaders in your office to working with advanced mapping and canvassing technology.
That said, while we are ready to train you, we are looking for people who are ready to take on a major challenge. You should be ready to:
- Go where the fight is. We are looking for people who are flexible geographically and ready to move to work in one of our election offices. This is a big campaign with lots of moving parts so again, flexibility is key.
- Work hard. It’s a campaign, so it will be something you throw yourself into. We have a short window of time and a lot at stake. We pride ourselves on doing what it takes to run a successful campaign. So, you should be prepared to work around 70 hours/week.
Work for Progress is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
How to Apply
Apply online. We’ll carefully consider your application and if we think you’re a good fit, we’ll be in touch.