Internship English Teaching Assistant
MISSION: Understanding of and commitment to buildOn’s mission, methodology, and core values.
GRIT: Tries hard and never gives up on a mission and getting results.
COMMITMENT TO METHODOLOGY & STRATEGY: Demonstrates mastery and discipline around methodology. Leans in and contributes to the strategic plan that will guide our future.
Overview of the Role
The English Teaching Assistant (ETA) is an intern who will be responsible for instructing the buildOn Senegal staff in English. In order to facilitate the Senegal team’s integration with the rest of the English-speaking buildOn staff, the ETA will teach a beginner’s course in conversational and professional English. The ETA will also work separately with three staff members with advanced English abilities to better accommodate the differing levels of English proficiency amongst the staff. The ETA will work to enhance the staff’s understanding of American culture through its infusion into the curriculum.
What you will learn
- Intercultural relationship development
- Teaching and educational skills
- Language/Communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Cultural competencies
- How to working independently
- How to take initiative
Our internships offer you the opportunity to
- Explore Career Opportunities – by working in the field, you can test out a potential career path
- Network – meet a variety of people through your internship, allowing you to form relationships you can build on in the future
- Find Mentors – We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.
- Build valuable experience in the field – if you are hoping to work internationally in the future, building the kind of field experience this internship will afford you is invaluable
- The ETA will instruct a “conversational English” course with a focus on professional English competency once or twice a week using creative and interactive teaching strategies to engage the staff. This will depend on staff availability.
- The ETA will work individually with advanced English capable staff members up to twice a week to enhance their knowledge of American colloquialisms, the role of communication in culture, and to reinforce their knowledge of grammar as per their individual needs.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative and dynamic ESL curriculums.
- Excellent teaching/facilitation skills.
- Ability to teach without heavily relying on technology.
- Flexibility and adaptability work in a low-resource, multicultural office.
- Experience living, working or studying in developing nations.
- Bachelors degree and TOEFL certification.
- One-year, or equivalent, experience teaching English as a second language to adults.
- Willingness to be located in Kaolack, Senegal.
- Minimum conversational proficiency in French.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildon.org
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to SenegalJobs@buildon.org