Full-Time Executive Assistant
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer and Chief Revenue Officer
Location: Stamford, CT
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.0 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1,300 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.0 million children, parents and grand-parents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.0 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role
Reporting directly to the CEO and CRO, the Executive Assistant provides executive support, acting with little supervision, anticipating needs while managing the day to day workflow and prioritizing various projects. This includes overseeing administrative duties, scheduling, contact management, preparing materials for meetings, and participating in a wide range of special projects. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external relationships. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors and senior management teams. The ideal individual must be proactive, possessing a strong sense of urgency and must pay close attention to detail. He/she has the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. The Executive Assistant must be creative, skilled in all aspects of project management and enjoy working within a growing entrepreneurial mission-driven and results-driven environment. The Executive Assistant must have the ability to work independently with the ability to balance multiple priorities from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
- Serve as the first point of contact for a wide variety of high-level relationships between CEO, CRO, and external contacts.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO and CRO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing confidential correspondence; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the schedule for the CEO and CRO is followed and respected. Provides “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO’s and CRO’s time and office.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO and CRO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Executive office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO and CRO; keeping them informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for urgent and time sensitive issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO and CRO updated.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Work with buildOn staff to collect and assemble information for presentations, projects, and strategic planning.
- Facilitate, build, and monitor relationships including tracking contacts in database and managing follow-up correspondence.
- Handle phone, email, and postal mail inquiries and respond appropriately.
- Serves as the office manager for the Stamford Headquarters.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and core values of buildOn.
- Grit, resilience and tenacity around achieving our mission.
- Track record of leading by example with ability to “role up your sleeves” and “hustle” when necessary to reach key goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required and 5+years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); familiar with Google apps; mail, calendar, and drive preferred.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting with excellent attention to detail.
- Superb communication skills (oral and written) with a confident, concise, clear, and compelling style; while producing professional level correspondence free of grammatical and spelling errors.
- Demonstrate proactive and flexible approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability with a fun, positive “can do” attitude.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and met deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions; takes initiatives for process improvement.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency by quickly adapting to new technology and easily acquiring new technical skills.
- Excellent relationship building skills; able to demonstrate a high level of tact, discretion, and diplomacy with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrate an awareness of fundamental business principles, as well as an understanding of the nonprofit sector.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org