Full-Time Executive Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
About At The Crossroads (ATC):
At The Crossroads (ATC) focuses on serving San Francisco’s most vulnerable and disconnected populations, reaching out directly to homeless youth and young adults living on the streets, and cultivating long-term, unconditional relationships. ATC approaches their clients without judgement or a predetermined agenda, and focuses on empowering each person to define their own goals at their own pace. Since 1998, ATC has worked with over 8,000 homeless youth in the Mission and Downtown neighborhoods of San Francisco, with meaningful outcomes.
90% of ATC’s counseling clients have achieved one of more of their goals, including finding stable housing, addressing substance abuse issues, improving physical health, or finding employment. Because its private funding is entirely unrestricted, the organization enjoys great flexibility in its client-centered programming, allowing them to meet their clients where they are, stick with them, and help them to realize their goals through its strong network of providers.
Now entering its third decade, this is an extremely exciting time for the organization. Thanks to the incredible generosity of the community, ATC successfully raised over $4 million in a recent capital campaign to build a new office specifically designed to enhance its work. With an 84-year lease, this no-rent facility has more than doubled the size of its old space, and has provided At The Crossroads with room to grow and expand its programming for the long term.
About the ED Opportunity:
Reporting to a highly supportive Board of Directors, the Executive Director will oversee the strategic direction of the organization and operational efficiency of ATC’s programs and staff. The role calls for an operationally-minded executive who is also capable of developing a strategic plan in partnership with the Board. This individual is an experienced and humble leader, builder, and collaborator, armed with best practices for capitalizing on the strengths of a dedicated staff while attending to their professional growth. The ED will also be adept at representing the organization externally, both in terms of fundraising and advocacy-related matters.
This is a tremendous opportunity for a forward-thinking Executive Director to capitalize on ATC’s stellar reputation, seize the momentum, and build upon the game-changing work of its recently transitioned founder. At a time when the subject of homelessness is center stage in San Francisco, coupled with ATC’s own organizational advancements, At The Crossroads is perfectly positioned and primed for its next leader to take it to new heights. This position offers the opportunity to reflect on ATC’s achievements, assess its impact, and set the vision for its future role in the community.
Key Functions & Responsibilities:
- External Engagement: Act as the chief storyteller and spokesperson for ATC’s work. Lead engagement with communities, influencers, partners, funders, and other complementary agencies/providers. Increase issue awareness by identifying high-level advocacy opportunities for creating systemic change for homeless youth.
- Fundraising: Strengthen ATC’s overall funding base, further building a foundation to enable continued sustainable growth and security. Cultivate and steward relationships with major donors and institutional funders, developing a fundraising strategy and communications plan in partnership with the Development team.
- Strategic Planning: Work closely with the Board of Directors, assessing, informing, and addressing core issues that may affect the overall health of the organization. Assess the effectiveness of strategies for achieving intended impact. Lead organizational strategic planning efforts in partnership with the Board.
- Operations: Oversee ATC’s daily operations, providing executive-level direction to program activities for the purpose of maximizing efficiency and effectiveness. Assess program performance against well-defined metrics, ensuring the incorporation of strong data management practices. Analyze internal operations procedures and identify areas for process improvement. Develop the budget in partnership with the Board; ensure compliance in execution.
- Leadership, Management, and Team Building: Motivate, inspire, and lead a highly engaged and committed staff, eager to continue their professional growth and development. Model and mentor best practices in management, ensuring effective communication, collaboration, and continued progress toward ATC’s mission.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, with demonstrable success in senior leadership roles in the nonprofit or social sector
- A proven record of mentoring staff and leading teams of 15+
- Experience with assessing strategy at the organizational level, and developing implementable strategic plans
- Experience managing operations and assessing performance across multiple functions (e.g. programs, finance, development, and communications). Equipped with best practices for efficiency.
- Demonstrated personal experience raising funds from foundations and/or individual major donors
- A strong networker and communicator, with a talent for building impactful relationships and serving as the public face of an organization
- Experience in organizations serving the homeless and/or at-risk youth or young adults is ideal, but not required
How to Apply
ATC has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link. Please refrain from contacting At The Crossroads directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at ATC@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.