Full-Time Executive Director
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Board of Directors of Investors’ Circle-Social Venture Network (IC-SVN) seeks an accomplished and ambitious executive to serve as its first executive director. Drawing on the legacy of two pioneering social impact non-profits, the Executive Director will help forge the direction, build the capacity, and foster the collaborative culture of this newly formed membership organization at a time of gathering momentum for impact investing and social entrepreneurship as a platform for social and economic transformation. This is an exceptional opportunity for an innovative, entrepreneurial leader to create a shared vision and leverage the impact of IC-SVN, its members, and the broader field they represent.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction s/he develops in concert with the Board of Directors. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and directly supervises a 4-person senior management team.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and renew the organization’s vision, strategic direction, business model, agenda and brand
- Develop and implement strategies to effectively integrate the contributing organizations
- Develop and manage a high-performing Board of Directors
- Foster a positive culture and effective teamwork among the organization’s staff, board, and partners
- Establish and foster productive relationships and partnerships to advance IC-SVN’s agenda and develop its resources
- Engage and inspire the organization’s members, sponsors, funders, and partners to become advocates for the organization
- Contribute to the development of the impact investing and social entrepreneurship fields, and elevate IC-SVN’s role and reputation as a catalyst for sector growth.
- Serve as IC-SVN’s lead fundraiser and case maker, developing and maintaining productive relationships with high priority past, present, and prospective donors and funders
- Supervise and approve philanthropic and business development goals and annual and long-term philanthropic and business development strategies
- Engage and support the Board in effective performance of its development function
Marketing and communications
- Ensure the development and implementation of an effective marketing, branding, and communications strategy
- Promote the organization and cultivate the organization’s brand through speaking engagements and strategic participation in industry conferences, events, and projects
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programs, events, and services
- Engage with staff, board, industry colleagues and partners as appropriate to identify and develop new program and/or program partnership opportunities that further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that appropriate organizational and program impact assessment systems are in place and providing the data necessary for effective organizational learning, as well as for internal and external assessments and reports
Financial and operational planning and management
- Ensure the continuous development of the organization’s staff and infrastructure
- Work with staff and the Board Treasurer to prepare a comprehensive annual budget, administer funds, and monitor cash flow
- Provide the Board with quarterly and annual financial and operational reports
- Ensure that sound accounting procedures are followed and that the organization complies with all taxation, non-profit status, state and federal reporting, and other applicable statutory or regulatory requirements
- Experience as chief executive or equivalent
- Leadership experience, membership organization experience preferred
- Experience leading and contributing to teams in entrepreneurial and growth contexts
- Excellent manager of distributed and networked organizations
- Confident and accomplished public speaker, fundraiser, and thought leader
- Credible and enthusiastic advocate for the role and potential of business in addressing social and environmental challenges
- Fluent with impact investing and social enterprise concepts, issues, and landscape
COMPENSATION AND TERMS
IC-SVN will provide a competitive non-profit compensation package for the successful candidate, including medical and dental benefits, employer-match IRA retirement plan, and four weeks annual paid vacation time.
IC-SVN is a distributed organization, with staff and chapters in San Francisco, CA, Durham, NC, Washington, DC, Boston, MA, Philadelphia, PA, New York, NY and Denver/Boulder, CO, and plans to expand. The executive director may be based in any one of these or another major metropolitan area and will be expected to travel nationally.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV that demonstrate how your skills and qualifications meet the requirements of the position to IC-SVN@schaffercombs.com. In the subject line of your email, please include your name, the title for this position, and the company name (‘Your name – ED – Investors’ Circle-Social Venture Network’). Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by Investors’ Circle-Social Venture Network to manage the Executive Director search.