Full-Time Field Operations Director – Rwanda
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. Instead of giving handouts, we invest in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We supply a complete service bundle of seeds and fertilizer, financing, training, and market facilitation—and we deliver these services within walking distance of the 600,000+ rural farmers we serve. The Rwanda program is currently transitioning from a start-up environment to a mature operation – and we are seeking a mid-career professional with demonstrated operations management ability to help us build the team and operational systems we need to deliver impact to farmers efficiently. Our Field Operations Director will be one of the most influential people in the Rwanda program and will quickly join the organization-wide leadership group.
Why should you apply
– Impact: As the Field Operations Director, you will have full ownership over the Rwanda core program, overseeing 1,000+ field team and serving nearly 300,000 clients across 4 regions. You will be at the head of a program that generates over $40,000,000 of impact per year, all the while becoming more cost-efficient.
– Meaningful: One Acre Fund (OAF) always puts farmers first and the Field Operations Director’s job is hugely mission-driven, inspiring and meaningful.
– Career: As a key leader at One Acre Fund you will get world-class management exposure and will be connected to an international organization that has staff based across 4 continents. You will report directly into the Rwanda Deputy Country Director.
– A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
– Together with country leadership, you will set and steer the course for One Acre Fund Rwanda’s 5 – 15-year vision.
– You will run annual goal setting and planning processes for the Field Operations Division. Ensure annual plans align with the long-term vision and targets.
– You will lead the team directly implementing the Rwanda core program, including key activities such as marketing and farmer enrollment (sales), input delivery, farmer training, and credit collection.
– You will measure progress against goals, regularly report on progress, and hold the team accountable for prioritizing and delivering results in key strategic areas, such as program impact, efficiency and density (inward growth).
– You will manage the Division priorities, and hold your team accountable to delivering results. You’ll lead the team through change, guide the team in troubleshooting challenges and provide strategic focus and direction.
– You are detail-oriented and will continuously find new ways to streamline documentation processing and knowledge management for an operation that is rapidly growing.
Lead Transformation & Innovation
– You will be the owner of Field Operations’ $6 million budget, strategically allocating resources to generate the most impact. You will be tasked with recommending efficiency plays to senior leadership and identifying areas for cost savings and program improvements. You will oversee the creation and compilation of annual and monthly budgets.
– Crafting new business models: You will guide the transformation of Rwanda Field Operations into a leaner, more efficient, and less complex model.
– You will develop key initiatives that will enable One Acre Fund to generate higher impact/farmer at reduced cost and thus unlock future outward growth for the program.
– You will be creating and supporting ideas that will help One Acre Fund reach its goal of serving 1 million farmers by 2020. Among other things, this will entail providing regular feedback on trial ideas and practical support to our innovations teams as they work to integrate new products and new program design ideas into our core operations.
The Field Operations Director is at the head of a 1,000+ field team, and around 20 HQ staffers. You’ll establish and cultivate strong relationships to ensure that all staff on the Field Operations team can maximize their career performance and job satisfaction as part of the One Acre Fund family. You’ll epitomize One Acre Fund’s value of being a family of leaders by developing and maintaining processes ensuring that everyone—from the Program Managers directly reporting to you to the newest Field Officer in our program—is continually mentored, challenged, and supported by the organization.
Day to day, the Field Operations Director directly manages 3 high-level staffers:
The Field Operations Execution Lead
The Field Operations Program Design Lead
The Field Operations Systems Lead
We are seeking a talented professional with solid experience in leading large teams and executing at scale. Most importantly, the successful candidate will have solid strategic thinking skills, as well as enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced and high-stakes environment. In addition, a solid track record of developing talent and fostering professional growth in others is strongly desired. Other criteria:
– A mission-driven individual that can align 100% with OAF’s values in putting farmers first.
– 8+ years of professional experience – ideally with experience implementing operational efficiency measures
– Minimum 3 years direct management experience with strong examples of people development.
– Strong general management skills and ability to manage a wide range of topics across different teams.
– Strong leadership experience and ability to lead a team in setting a vision, annual strategy and goals and hold everyone accountable to it.
– Humility. We are looking for passionate individuals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service.
– Language: English required. Kinyarwanda desired.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
Preferred Start Date
June 4, 2018
Minimum 2-year commitment
Commensurate with experience
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Rwandan candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please visit the following page: https://grnh.se/cvm86qpm1. Do NOT send applications over email. We do not accept any applications through email.