Full-Time Financial Associate – Grants Compliance
Financial Associate – Grants Compliance
New York, NY
Uncommon’s Financial Associate – Grants Compliance is responsible for assisting with all competitive and non-competitive federal, state, and local grants for USI and its member schools and helps to maintain all of the processes necessary to secure public funds and report on their use. The Financial Management Associate supports and enhances Uncommon’s Finance team by assisting with key reporting and compliance tasks, helping to create and maintain systems and procedures, and working on team initiatives and projects.
Reports to: Director of Financial Compliance; Works closely with all members of the Financial Management and Accounting teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position requires a smart, proactive, and hard-working team player who can handle both mission critical projects and details with equal enthusiasm, efficiency, and attention to detail. Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Public Grants Management
- Conducts research to identify new federal, state, and local grants.
- Helps create grant budgets which comply with RFP guidelines and which complement the budgets of all other public and private funding sources.
- Helps manage application processes from start to finish, including coordinating requests for supporting materials and for application writers.
- Cross-functional project collaboration with other teams, such as regional teams, real estate, development, HR etc.
- Public Grants Reporting and Compliance
- Assists with all government, charter authorizer, and donor financial reporting requirements.
- Works closely with Director of Financial Compliance to ensure that grant funds and expenses are recorded properly.
- Creates compliance documentation, including coordinating requests for supporting data and materials from other home office teams and schools.
- Helps complete and submit all reports, invoices and other documentation to grant authorizers.
- Familiar with the calendar of grant deadlines and a detailed work plan to meet those deadlines.
- Provides direct support to regional teams, home office teams, and schools through grant audits and annual reviews.
- Other Supporting Work
- Support ad-hoc projects and perform variance administrative duties for compliance and the larger Uncommon Finance team.
- Conduct research required for strategic team initiatives, special projects, and other special requests for Finance information.
- Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 1-3 years of prior work experience required
- Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through
- Proactive mentality
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organization efficiency
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change dynamic organizations
- Experience with finance and/or public grants a plus
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Competent in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Interest in education policy/charter schools
- Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s degree