Full-Time General Maintenance Worker
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. Uncommon builds uncommonly great schools by developing and managing regional networks that are philosophically aligned and highly accountable and by designing and implementing “best-in-class” teacher training. North Star Academy is the regional network located in Newark, New Jersey. Uncommon has achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Its schools consistently outperform their district schools and are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. To learn more about Uncommon click here uncommonschools.org/our-schools/uncommon-cities.
The General Maintenance Worker reports to the Onsite Facilities Manager and performs inspections, maintenance, and repairs to ensure that all students, staff, and the community are provided a safe, attractive, clean, and healthy environment for learning and work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Maintenance Worker shall:
- Perform general maintenance and repair tasks in a variety of areas and as assigned by the On-Site Facilities Manager and in accordance with all applicable codes and regulations.
- Perform regular inspections of equipment and systems, reporting any abnormalities and hazards immediately.
- Be able to assemble, move, and (re)arrange furniture.
- Mount objects to repair walls.
- Be able to Change locks, outlets, light bulbs, ballast, switches, thermostats, filters, flushometers, toilet seat and covers.
- Ensure that the work site and conditions are safe
- Perform assignments relating to ensuring all schools and district sites are able to safely open and function when assigned. This includes working cooperatively with other school employees during emergency operations.
- Respond to emergency situations and perform necessary repairs.
- Use the work order system, making sure that work orders have been written and approved before performing tasks, except in emergency situations.
- Ensure work orders are completed and documented properly.
- Keep a log of all maintenance functions and repairs performed.
- Recommend repairs or procedures that are beyond the scope of responsibilities, skill, or experience, outlining the work needed and specifications required of an outside contractor.
- Ensure that all applicable fire, safety, health, and environmental regulations and laws are observed and exceeded.
- Maintain an adequate supply of parts and supplies usually used in repairs, and request needed supplies through the established procedures.
- Operate and maintain in a safe and operational condition all tools and equipment necessary to carry out job functions and responsibilities.
- Remove snow and ice by shoveling, plowing, and/or sanding walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps.
- Report immediately any damage or vandalism to facilities, or theft of equipment.
- Make recommendations for improvement in the effectiveness and efficiency of the maintenance operations.
- Attend required meetings, including Right-To-Know and Safety Training, and serve, as appropriate, on staff committees.
- Display a cooperative and pleasant attitude at all times, particularly when in the presence of staff, students, and community visitors.
- Notify and assist the administration and appropriate emergency personnel with any emergency, and potentially dangerous or unusual situations.
- Use computers and/or electronic equipment to fulfill job functions.
- Protect the confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
- Serve as a role model for students and staff in demonstrating positive attitudes, appropriate attire and grooming, and an effective work ethic.
- Participate in appropriate in-service and workshop programs and attend any required meetings.
- Display ethical and professional behavior in working with students, parents, school personnel, and outside agencies associated with the school.
- Adhere to federal statutes and regulations, New Jersey school law, State Board of Education rules and regulations, Uncommon Schools policies and procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by the supervisors, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
The Maintenance Worker shall:
- Have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Ability to commute between school sites.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge, experience, and proficiency in several areas of maintenance (e.g., plumbing, painting, carpentry, masonry/concrete/tile, window glazing, electrical, mechanical, HVAC and boiler systems, roof repair, plastering/spackling, field/playground maintenance, and furniture repair).
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Ability to follow detailed written or verbal instructions.
- Have the abilities and knowledge to use hand and power tools.
- Able to pass a criminal record history check given by the Department of Education.
- Possession of low pressure black seal boiler license, HVAC training certificate or other trade licenses/training documentation preferred.
Physical Demands of Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
- Stand, walk, bend, reach overhead, lift heavy objects, climb ladders, work at heights, and in tight spaces.
- Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, computers, and/or controls.
- Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.