Full-Time Graphic Designer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Marketing & Communications Team at Uncommon Schools
We drive marketing and communications strategy and execution to bring to life our mission and our work at Uncommon Schools. We are passionate about telling the stories of our outstanding students and teachers, engaging with our community on important issues, and celebrating our students’ outstanding successes. Our work focuses largely on supporting and ensuring strong, aligned branding across our schools, recruiting teachers and staff, and reaching families. The Marketing & Communications team at Uncommon Schools works from our central office in Manhattan to provide an exceptional level of marketing and design services to our network of schools and other central office teams.
We are seeking a talented graphic designer to join a four-person marketing and communications team, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications. This person will own graphic design concepting and production for print, digital and web media, and will have a passion for telling the story of our students, staff and organization. They will work with stakeholders across the organization, manage outside vendors occasionally, and own the organization’s brand structure. Key responsibilities:
- Create and maintain all print, digital, and event designs across the organization, including: printed collateral and online advertisements for staff recruitment, outdoor and transit. advertisements for student recruitment (billboards, bus ads), and large-scale event graphics.
- Follow our internal processes for receiving design requests, kicking off new projects, and managing the feedback process with stakeholders. Own and help to evolve these processes to address sticking points and enable exceptional service to the organization.
- Collaborate with Marketing team to ideate and execute on new advertising campaigns for teacher recruitment, students and families, and fundraising audiences.
- Create school culture branding structures when new schools open each year, including school colors, logos and mascot. Maintain and update existing school culture elements across our 53 schools.
- Find innovative ways to bring to life our student achievement data through creative displays of data in print and digital media.
- Design new logos for internal and external purposes, such as special events.
- Create digital assets to support website, social media and email marketing, keeping these digital platforms fresh and forward-looking.
- Maintain our brand style guide and all brand assets, supporting proper usage across the organization and evolving over time, including logos, colors, and photography style.
- 3+ years prior work experience in graphic design preferred, with expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite and formal training and/or work experience in graphic design
- Exceptional talent in graphic design for print layouts, web and social media, and outdoor advertisements.
- Prepared to be the one-stop-shop for all graphic design needs in a high-performance and fast-paced environment.
- Inspired by Uncommon Schools’ mission to prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond, and excited to be an advocate for our mission.
- Resourceful, self-motivated and able to independently prioritize shifting workloads in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills.
- Able to work quickly while maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Open to and appreciative of frequent feedback.
Application: Please upload or link your graphic design portfolio as part of your application.