Full-Time Human Resource Director (NYC)
DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization’s story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 2.8 million “citizen philanthropists” have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 25 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” by the Nonprofit Times.
The People Operations team supports the mission of DonorsChoose.org by recruiting, hiring, supporting, developing, and rewarding our outstanding staff – currently consisting of ~100 full-time and ~50 part-time employees.
The Nonprofit Times highlighted us as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” in 2017, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made the top 10. We’re looking for a Human Resource Manager to help ensure that our current team continues to enjoy a seamless employment experience.
DonorsChoose.org is seeking a Human Resource Director, who will serve as a strategic partner and operational expert in the area of HR administration. In addition to providing operational human resource support to the organization, you’d serve in an advisory capacity to the SVP, People Operations to shape an evolving HR strategy. You will hit the ground running to lead distinct functions of our program:
Payroll & Benefits
- Coordinate and partner with our lean Finance team to process semi-monthly payroll and insurances for staff
- Administer insurance and pre-tax benefits
- Liaise with insurance brokers and benefits providers to secure competitive benefits and ensure excellent customer service
- Lay groundwork for a compelling total rewards strategy at a talent-centered organization
On-boarding & Off-boarding
- Conduct benefits orientations and coordinate all new hire paperwork and processing
- Collaborate with the People Operations team at large to ensure positive on-boarding experience
- Partner with managers to ensure an organized and systematic off-boarding experience for both voluntary and involuntary terminations
Policy & Compliance
- Monitor compliance with workplace and employment laws and also prepare DonorsChoose.org for changes in the legislative environment
- Work with SVP and IT Director to ensure appropriate controls re HRIS and other employee-facing or internal management systems
- Ensure our org employment handbook, offer letters, and separation agreements, are regularly audited and updated
- Oversee the maintenance of HR personnel filing
Data, Innovations & Culture
- Collaborate with the People Operations team to collect and apply HR data and employee feedback to improve HR operations and initiatives
- Be able to translate insights from annual employee survey to innovative and user-focused solutions for DonorsChoose.org staff, through rigorous analysis
- Assist with leading a committee for the All Staff retreat, and with administrative components of the Performance Review process
This position is right for you if you are:
- A believer that innovation and relentlessness are core to solving some of society’s most complex challenges.
- Expert in one or more HR competencies. You have demonstrated strategic thinking and operational excellence in the following areas: 1) payroll and benefits administration; 2) HR knowledge management systems; 3) employment law and compliance. Although a Bachelor’s degree is required for this role, a professional certificate or Masters’ in an HR discipline or S/PHR certification is strongly preferred. Experience with Dayforce is also preferred.
- A dynamic leader, strategic planner and proven project manager. Demonstrated success managing competing priorities and balancing highly-detailed ongoing projects with long-term strategic implications.
- A creative and critical thinker with sound judgment. Demonstrated experience acting with integrity and prudence. Strong self and social awareness, with an understanding of how the work we do (and the way we do it) impacts organizational culture, morale and performance.
- An engaging and effective communicator and natural connector. Strong writing and speaking skills. You are clear and impactful, responsive and act urgently on behalf of our stakeholders.
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of your salary); an annual professional development stipend; and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays. To learn more about what it’s like to work for DonorsChoose.org, visit the careers page.
Please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Michelle Wonsley, Senior Vice President of People Operations. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online, with a cover letter addressed to Michelle Wonsley, Senior Vice President of People Operations. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.