Full-Time Kenya People Division Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
One Acre Fund began in Kenya and Kenya is now one of our largest and fastest-growing countries of operation. Our vision for 2030 is to end hunger in Kenya and provide a pathway to prosperity for every farm family in the nation. One Acre Fund Kenya is transitioning from a start-up to a mature operation – and we need additional high performing staff members to continue our strong growth trajectory. Working with our Kenya team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations and explore new ways to impact our well-established network of hundreds of thousands of farm families.
The People Division Director’s responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
Strategy & Vision
- Together with country leadership, set and steer the course for the 5 – 15-year vision.
- Run annual goal setting and planning processes for all people-departments. Ensure annual plans align with the long-term vision and targets.
- Measure progress against goals, regularly report on progress, and hold the team accountable for prioritizing and delivering results in key strategic areas.
- Help our people departments scale service provision to more staff while maintaining the same departmental headcounts, improving the division’s impact to serve roughly 3,000 staff members by 2020.
- Hold the Kenya program accountable to meet career promises to all staff – work that is connected to our mission, career growth opportunities, fair compensation.
- Overall, make One Acre Fund Kenya a great place to work.
- Proactively and effectively communicate up to country leadership, down to departments, and across to other sets of leaders.
- Set agenda and facilitate regular People Division Meetings, engaging departments with one another’s work, assuring that everyone is moving together reinforcing efforts.
- Ensure People Departments are collaborating effectively with individuals, teams, and divisions outside of the people division. Set-up appropriate systems of communication to keep everyone moving together.
- Participate in global people work and collaborate with other country programs.
Management & Training
- Serve as direct management line to key people departments in Kenya. These include Human Resources, Corporate Operations, Training, and People Analytics. Management will include oversight, weekly reporting meetings, performance reviews and development, strategic direction and support.
- Ensure that all staff receives effective mentorship to promote career growth.
- Work with training department to run major staff training across the entire team.
- Personally lead training sessions for senior staff members.
Team & Culture
- Serve as a leader and role model to the Kenya team at large. Live the One Acre Fund values, role model a sustainable life set-up, invest in people, engage with the team.
- Lead diversity and inclusion work for the Kenya program. Identify high-impact initiatives, prioritize, and measure results.
- Manage and create feedback channels to ensure all staff groups can be heard and receive clear communication from country leadership.
- Keep pulse on team feedback, concerns and upcoming events that might destabilize and create turmoil.
- Actively contingency plan and mitigate pre-identified ‘hot spots’ or risk areas that could destabilize staff or operations.
Execution of Strategic Initiatives
- Set strategy and personally oversee key strategic initiatives within the Division. Initiatives may include: diversity and inclusion efforts, senior staff hiring, manager quality improvements, integrating data into People Division decisions.
- Set KPIs and metrics to measure success.
- Regularly solicit feedback from the wider team and other departments.
- Carefully optimize current staffing structure to ensure we have the right people in the right roles; proactively plan for future staffing.
Oversee Day-to-Day Execution
- Ensure that everything the People Division does is executed to world-class standards.
- Oversee smooth execution of existing HR and staff support systems and processes.
Spending and Budgeting
- Participate, together with departments, in annual budgeting process; anticipate spending for the year based on annual plans.
- Regularly review actual spending against planned spending. Keep all departments operating to maximum efficiency and within the planned budget.
Outside & External
- Host key external visitors and donors to One Acre Fund.
- Research and understand key best practices in functional work areas at other organizations.
- Think strategically about potential partnerships and learning opportunities from other organizations.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 5+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business, solid Volunteer Service Organization accomplishments (VSO, Peace Corps, JICA, etc).
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- A willingness to commit to living in Kakamega, Kenya for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role. The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
- Language: English required in Kenya. Swahili-speakers strongly encouraged to apply.
PREFERRED START DATE
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; must have existing rights to work in Kenya.
Kenyan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply