Internship Kiva NYC Volunteer Ambassador
Kiva.org was founded upon the fundamental principle that connecting people through lending can help alleviate poverty. To ensure that it succeeds, the company, along with its user base, provides borrowers with the seed capital needed to generate income, and thereby live a life of sustainability and independence. So far, this approach has enabled Kiva to raise over $1 billion in loans for 1.5 million entrepreneurs in nearly 80 countries.
Kiva US Background:
Though much of Kiva’s lending is done internationally, through a network of Microfinance partners, it also launched a US program. Small businesses and entrepreneurs can raise a 0% loan up to $10,000 though Kiva’s online portal. To date over 2,900 businesses have raised loans on Kiva US.
As a Kiva US Volunteer Ambassador, your role will be highly entrepreneurial and external facing. You will impact the Kiva NYC program helping us to spread the word about our 0%, flexible loans among entrepreneurs across the city. By connecting with our Trustees and Partners, Ambassadors will meet directly with entrepreneurs, and explain the Kiva program to help them determine whether Kiva is a fit for their business needs. Whether it’s taking a high quality profile or writing the perfect personal story, or coaching the entrepreneur through the fundraising process the Ambassador will develop relationships with each entrepreneur and positively impact his or her Kiva experience!
- Finding, recruiting, and onboarding new partners that support low income, financially excluded, and socially impactful entrepreneurs who could benefit from the Kiva US program.
- Promoting and representing Kiva externally by attending and planning partner meetings and local events
- Onboarding entrepreneurs who are looking to use Kiva US to grow their business.
- Supporting our customer service efforts by managing different questions that are asked from our borrowers and Trustees.
- Proactively, and often independently, identify issues that could impede pilot progress, and recommend actions to maintain momentum
Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
- Proven project management skills
- Highly proactive and able to work independently
- Entrepreneurial background, comfortable working with small business owners of all walks of life
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Microfinance experience preferable, but not essential
- Spanish speaker is a plus!
- Broad and flexible role, providing exposure to a number of different parts of the Kiva organization
- Opportunity to be part of the team that has the potential to identify Kiva’s next industry-transforming program
- Opportunity to engage in, and learn about, entrepreneurialism in a controlled environment – while learning from individuals with industry-leading experience in the micro-finance arena.
How to Apply
- Please send your resume and cover letter to Katherine Lynch at email@example.com and Kelly Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Due to the high numbers of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview