Full-Time Labor & Compliance Manager (New York)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa, and Southern Africa. Our Fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPSin Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked change makers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 1000 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
For more information, visit our websiteor find us on Facebookand Twitter.
This hybrid position, which sits on the Central Operations team and works closely with the People team, drives and manages GHC’s entire, interconnected compliance program, ensuring that the organization and its workforce are protected. The Compliance Manager will also lead and steward a culture of compliance organization-wide, in which all team members think and act through the lens of protecting the people we serve and the organization for which we work. Whether it is examining our compliance with HR policies and laws, ensuring new offices in different countries have the appropriate legal structure, or conducting a gap analysis of our reporting, the Compliance Manager is integral in ensuring GHC delivers and performs in a way that continues to allow us to attract new opportunities.
The Central Operations team oversees the fellowship admissions process; the health, safety and security of fellows and staff; and the organization’s finances, IT systems, and compliance program. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Operations, the Compliance Manager brings HR admin or other related compliance experience and applies a holistic lens to risk and compliance across an organization. This person is a hyper-organized, detail-obsessed, people-loving, client-centric individual. S/he is someone who is always willing and able to find a way to get to ‘yes’ and get things done. The Compliance Manager is someone who is excited to think about how laws and policies can best be integrated into regular practices; someone who can break down complex, regulatory requirements into manageable bites for our staff; someone who is obsessed with planning, tracking, and documenting all the little moving details that make up international compliance. This position requires individuals to be flexible and adaptive, comfortable shifting and responding as organizational needs evolve and change. Basically, if you are excited to empower and properly equip our staff in Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, United States, and Zambia to exercise responsibility in mitigating risks, building organizational trust, and adhering to legal and regulatory requirements, we’d like to talk to you!
- Support the People team in the review and revision of GHC’s Employee Handbook, policies, and practices in each country of operation, bringing both an employee relations and employment law perspective
- Ensure organizational compliance with compensation and benefits practices, laws, and regulations while understanding the difference between government-mandated, government-provided, and voluntary benefit approaches
- Maintain working knowledge of labor and employment laws in all GHC countries (local, state, federal) and seek advice from legal counsel on GHC policies to ensure compliance in all placement countries
- Update, as necessary, SPDs for ERISA-covered welfare benefit and retirement plans (e.g. 401(k), health, life, dental, vision, disability, FSAs, EAPs and other fringe benefit plans)
- Coordinate the year-end audit and other required activities for the retirement plan for U.S. staff members and, in conjunction with the People team, support annual staff education campaigns
- Lead corrective action plans when violations of payroll, benefits, or other compensation laws have been identified
- Promote a culture of compliance throughout the organization by embedding compliance practices into everyday workflows
Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Lead, in consultation with the People team, management of health, retirement, and ancillary benefit plans for all countries of operation including enrollment of new staff and open enrollment periods
- Support staff onboarding and offboarding processes, including benefits, employee profiles for payroll, and employment verification
- Oversee vendor management for payroll administration and retirement plans in all countries of operation, including the performance of the plans, recordkeeping, compliance with plan provisions, and contracts
- Lead payroll processing for all countries of operation, working with outsourced payroll administration firms in Africa and ADP in the U.S.
- Work with the Finance Team to ensure accurate financial reporting and ensure proper tax registration in all countries of operation for compensation and benefits-related expenses
- Support annual external fiscal audit by collecting required documentation, coordinating with staff as requested
- Work closely with the Director of Operations to identify and mitigate risks to the organization which include:
- Lead migration of key legal agreements into Salesforce, establishing alerts for reporting and tracking of key terms
- Collect Conflict of Interest statements from staff annually and recommend necessary actions
- Ensure initial registration and annual renewal with appropriate U.S. state agencies for charitable contributions
- Ensure compliance with organization’s Document Retention Policy
- Draft data confidentiality policy, keeping in mind various data repositories, access controls and GDPR requirements
- Support Senior Vice President of Operations on a range of projects which may include review of contractual agreements as well as contributions to compliance reporting prepared for the Board of Directors
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of relevant work experience with a minimum of two years of direct HR or paralegal experience required
- Experience with payroll required; experience with ADP a plus
- Experience in personnel administration and related employment law and regulations required
- Superior organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Ultimate discretion and the ability to protect confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal skills and superior written communication skills
- Ability to manage and effectively prioritize projects while meeting deadlines
- Advanced proficiency in Word, Excel, and Google Drive
- Tech savviness and interest in learning Asana, Dropbox and Salesforce
How to Apply
To apply, please visit:https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply/BN8TRSX6I7/Labor-Compliance-Manager-Global-Health-Corps