Full-Time Malawi Operations Coordinator (Lilongwe, Malawi)
The Malawi Operations Coordinator is an exceptionally well-organized, hard-working individual within our small, entrepreneurial team. The ideal candidate thrives in an informal, fast-paced, start-up environment and is excited to support the Malawi Country Team in all aspects of programs and operations.
The Malawi Operations Coordinator will serve on a three-person country team including a Malawi Country Manager and Malawi Program and Operations Coordinator. Because the team is small and innovative thinking is valued, there are many opportunities to grow and experiment. The role combines program support areas such as supporting the fellow recruitment and selection process, coordinating quarterly retreats, and supporting alumni events, with traditional operational areas such as fiscal coordination, safety and security support, purchasing, vendor management, and housing coordination. This role provides many opportunities to work with a wide network of emerging leaders from around the world and colleagues in many forward thinking non-profit organizations and the Ministry of Health in Malawi. This is the perfect role for someone who wants to understand how a small non-profit operates and is excited to dive in and gain experience supporting a range of functions. There is significant opportunity for leadership in this role.
Global Health Corps:
Global Health Corps (GHC) is building a new generation of global health leadership. We believe that solving the world’s most pressing global health challenges requires better and more connected leaders who are able to work across traditional boundaries like geography, sector, and issue area to engineer stronger global health systems. We need more than clinicians and providers; we need management consultants, engineers, artists, and architects. We need new leadership voices and new perspectives, especially those representing the populations most often left out and unheard.
GHC competitively recruits and selects emerging leaders from around the world who represent a wide range of skillsets and areas of expertise, all of which are critical to rebuilding and strengthening health systems. GHC is developing a cadre of health equity leaders through a unique leadership development program that utilizes experiential and formal learning methods.
Through a one-year fellowship program, fellows address a wide-range of health issues with high-impact grassroots organizations, NGOs, and ministries of health in Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, and the United States. Fellowship positions are demand-driven, ensuring that our fellows fill real-time health systems gaps and serve to amplify the great work already in progress. Placement organizations benefit from the skills and energy of fellows, as well as the support of GHC. We are building a network of young changemakers who share the common belief that health is a human right.
(1) Operations and Logistics Management in collaboration with the Country Team, including:
- Support with fellow housing, including selection according to GHC’s security standards and resolution of any in-country issues or concerns in collaboration with the Malawi Program and Operations Coordinator
- Develop network of health and wellness resources in-country
- Lead fellow visas and work permits acquisition
- Manage logistics for all Malawi program-related activities for quarterly retreat planning which include: researching and identification of venues, coordinating travel, ordering retreat materials, staffing logistics and payments
- Process approved fellow and alumni funding requests and ensure proper tracking of the funds and receipts and timely reimbursement and communication with fellows and alumni
- Prepare bank and cash reconciliations (multi-currency) and analysis of expenditures.
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly expense reports.
- Manage day-to-day banking requirements.
- Manage cash flow including preparation of cash flow forecasts and timely funds requests
- Collect supporting documents for all expenses
- Manage petty cash including all payments and prompt payments to taxes (PAYE, Withholding tax) to Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA)
- Lead in-country tax compliance including preparing and paying monthly PAYE, NSSF, and local service tax payments, filing and keeping records for GHC office
- Assist with budget calculations/estimates during annual budget process
- Monitor fellow and staff safety and security, oversee security training and conduct security drills, prepare safety and security preparedness action lists, create fellow emergency plans for each fellow and respond to fellow and staff concerns
- Oversee safety and security for retreat venues
- Lead in-country safety and security for fellow housing including inspections and following up on concerns
- Track emerging threats closely as part of an early warning system and keep GHC staff and relevant fellows informed of security-related news
- Develop new or additional safety tools and protocols as needed
- Participate and support in fellow recruitment and selection process for GHC fellows
- Support Malawi Country Team with ongoing partner and fellow requests(e.g. logistics needs, professional development fund disbursement, professional resource recommendations)
- Develop written resources and guides for fellows, as needed.
- Support alumni planning, including coordination of alumni events
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum 3 years related work experience in Malawi
- Experience scaling systems and solutions for a growth-stage organization
- Accounting, budgeting, contracts, and financial management experience a plus
- Ability to consistently track news and current events to develop actionable analyses
- Project management skills, including ability to effectively prioritize and complete tasks efficiently and on time
- Tech savviness and interest in new technologies and information management systems; ability to use Google tools, Dropbox and other online platforms to streamline work
- Proven track record of strong organizational and time-management skills
- Top-notch attention to detail
- Commitment to social justice and passion for global health equity
- Long-term legal work status in Malawi required
- Motivated by getting results
(2) Finance in collaboration with the Country Manager and Finance Team in NY:
(3) Safety and Security in partnership with the Country Manager:
(4) Program Support:
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for applying!
How to Apply
To apply, please visit:https://jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/4c762ebe-d28e-482a-81c2-b5080f21a429