Full-Time Manager, Public Support & Solutions
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
StoryCorps’ Marketing & Communications (M&C) Department is a fast-paced, creative, and highly collaborative team that creates messaging and promotes StoryCorps’ mission, content, programs, products, and services to print, broadcast, and online media outlets. The team’s objectives are to tell the story of StoryCorps, to advance our mission as an organization that champions empathy, compassion, and listening, and to share our content with the world.
The Manager, Public Support & Solutions leads public-facing communication with a wide range of people and organizations to ensure that anyone who interacts with StoryCorps walks away with an impression that’s consistent with our organizational values: every voice matters and we listen. We field inquiries from a wide range of StoryCorps users and audiences, including current and past interview participants; people and partners who use our digital tools to record; prospective corporate and fee-for-service companies; research, media and other organizations and individuals who seek to license our content; and listeners, members and fans. Accordingly, the Manager, Public Support & Solutions must be an active listener and comfortable in providing accurate and clear support to people of all backgrounds and abilities who reach out to us.
The Manager, Public Support & Solutions will respond to inquiries, and will also have the opportunity to supervise part-time staff who provide support in managing inquiries through the ZenDesk customer service software. The Manager will have the opportunity to shape this team and how it operates, building on practices and documentation that have been established by the department while also finding ways to innovate and improve further the experiences of our participants, our users, and the public.
The Help Desk operates at an intersection among internal programs, processes, departments, staff, and the general public. Because of this connector role, the Support & Solutions Desk team members are experts on almost all aspects of StoryCorps, from using the reservations system to how to add keywords to an interview recorded on the StoryCorps App, replacing a lost recording, and how to correct a typo on someone’s Library of Congress certificate. Training materials, FAQs and resources shaped by the Manager, Public Support & Solutions help to enable outstanding communication across the organization.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience creating marketing collateral representative of diverse voices, for diverse audiences, is strongly preferred. We also seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Oversee and innovate the delivery of exceptional public-facing response, including the use of Acuity (the reservations system), a third-party call center, Line 7, ZenDesk and the replacement audio system
● Provide technical support to users of StoryCorps digital tools, including the StoryCorps App, Archive and websites
● Provide supervisory oversight and guidance to support staff in their provision of time-sensitive and knowledgeable telephone, email, and web support to interview participants and the general public
● Respond directly to escalated or particularly challenging complaints or issues
● Analyze and understand the types of inquiries that have been generated from the public, providing process improvement and feedback to other departments in StoryCorps on ways to further improve how we communicate with the public
● Collaborate with Digital, Mobile, and StoryBooths staff to manage and maintain the Acuity reservations system; provide training to Facilitators and other staff who use Acuity
● Collaborate with Digital and other teams to innovate the participant journey – from processes for booth staff involving interview reminder calls, reservations emails, and contact with the general public, to transactional emails that come from the app and archive
● With Manager, Communications, collaborate with other departments on the launch of the online archive, supporting participants’ access to their own interviews, responding to FAQs and supporting communications planning
● Collaborate with Digital, Corporate Sponsorships, Community Training and others to develop new materials, best practices, and user recommendations to support the use of the StoryCorps App, StoryCorps Communities, and Advanced Communities features
● Advise assigned app users and organizations on best engagement practices and uses of the platform
● Perform other duties to support M&C objectives, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree
● At least 3 years of communications experience
● Demonstrated ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
● Work history that demonstrates critical judgment and ability to rank and sort tasks that need attention
● High attention to detail, with demonstrated ability to write compelling, error-free copy on tight deadlines
● Highly organized with experience managing assets and information
● Ability to work under deadlines, to organize information and handle multiple assigned tasks efficiently
● Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
● Strong interpersonal skills plus cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
● Work history in Help Desk or Customer Support role
● At least 1 year of supervisory experience
● Basic knowledge of HTML; strong experience with Content Management. Systems, including WordPress
● Proficiency on a Mac platform
● Spanish language fluency (orally and in writing)
How to Apply
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Manager, Public Support & Solutions” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.