Full-Time Manager, Technology & Operations
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Common Impact has built the leading model for skills-based volunteering, connecting talented professionals from global companies to high-potential nonprofits. As corporate engagement and investment in social challenges deepen, Common Impact is expanding and evolving to meet the new demands of this exciting field. In 2018, Common Impact embarked on a four-year strategic plan to vastly increase the scope of its impact through targeted partnerships, the development of a comprehensive train-the-trainer platform, and the identification and execution of critical social sector projects where corporate talent can play a transformational role.
Common Impact seeks a Manager, Technology & Operations to assist with the daily operations of the organization, and apply a strategic technology and operational lens to facilitating cross-sector partnerships and bringing Common Impact’s operations to scale. Reporting to the COO, the Manager, Technology & Operations will support and manage projects across multiple dimensions – strategy, operations, finance, talent, and technology – in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of work procedures and the systems that support them as well as help guide the organization towards the achievement of its strategic goals.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity for an early career professional with a mix of operations and technical skills to join Common Impact’s talented team, and to expand a proven model of social impact. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with knowledge of a diverse range of technologies. S/he will have superior attention to detail and a proven track record successfully managing a wide range of simultaneous projects; will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; and will bring an interest and commitment to working with diverse communities in order to fulfill Common Impact’s mission.
Ownership and management of key internal processes and technology systems. The Manager, Technology & Operations will steward the evolution and maintenance of Common Impact’s key internal processes, which leverage a number of technology systems including Salesforce.com, Microsoft Office 365, and Expression Engine (website platform) through direct support and the management of Common Impact’s technical support vendors.
While you won’t be responsible for all the work involved in these systems, you will be responsible for ensuring that these systems are up to date, making effective staff use of the Consulting Team’s time (program updates in Salesforce, capacity and work planning), and providing an overall assessment to the COO. You will also be responsible for maintaining day-to-day inventory of technology equipment, training staff on how to use technology, troubleshooting problems, and assisting in managing our relationship with our external IT consulting group, as it relates to new hire set up, staff terminations, system-wide problems, hardware/software purchasing, network management, and equipment deployment.
Supporting the growth of Common Impact’s services. In addition to overseeing the day to day use of our current systems, the Manager, Technology & Operations will play a strong leadership role in evolving our current systems and creating new systems in order for us to more effectively manage our work. You will identify pain points in Common Impact’s operations and propose new process and platforms that will support the amelioration of these pain points, as well as the ability for Common Impact to scale its work. Common Impact has offices in Boston, MA and Brooklyn, NY and operates programs in 21 cities across the country. As we continue to grow, including internationally, you will work closely with our COO to build systems that facilitate this growth, and enable the increased automation of our operational processes to maximize the time and talents of our Consulting Team.
Data management, reporting and analysis. The Manager, Technology & Operations will centrally design and produce all key operational reports including but not limited to organizational dashboards/Executive Management Reports which demonstrate Common Impact’s progress against annual mission and revenue goals; feedback surveys (which need standardization and analysis); Consulting Capacity Reports, Monthly Forecast and Revenue Reports, Business Development/Client Pipeline Reports, and Client Pipeline Conversion Rate Reports. In addition to producing the reports, the Manager, Technology & Operations will be responsible for analyzing the data, flagging concerns and providing executive and managerial staff with reliable recommendations.
The Manager, Technology & Operations will also be responsible for creating audit reports and processes to ensure that organizational data is up-to-date and accurate and that operational tasks across the organization are being completed in a timely manner by all staff (i.e., replacing Forecasted hours worked with Actual hours into Salesforce in a timely manner, invoices are being submitted to clients and nonprofits, etc.)
Human Resources Support/Facilities Oversight. The Manager, Technology & Operations will be responsible for supporting the COO in her role of ensuring that the organization has the skills it needs to consistently deliver high quality services, cultivate those talents in the current team, and identify skill gaps and hiring needs. The Manager, Technology & Operations will:
· Work with the COO to develop and implement staff policies and procedures;
· Manage the annual performance review process and quarterly individual goal review by initiating the processes with involved staff, ensuring performance conversations are scheduled and that individual goals and reviews are being documented and archived in a consistent manner;
· Provide recruitment support by posting job openings, scheduling interviews, following up post-interview, and assisting with reference checks;
· Be accountable for on-boarding of new staff, including collection and upload of new hire documents and orientation to online system for timekeeping and benefits management;
· Be accountable for off-boarding staff, including collecting all organization property and ensuring that systems access is removed in a timely fashion;
· Maintain employee personnel files to ensure legal compliance, accuracy, and confidentiality; and
· Order office supplies, equipping staff with what they need to do their jobs; and supporting with facilities management.
Administrative and Compliance Support. The Manager, Technology & Operations will provide administrative support to the COO such as scheduling and material creation for internal and external meetings, including the agenda for the bi-weekly staff meeting and two annual staff retreats, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, and responding to requests for information. In addition, the Manager, Technology & Operations will process expenses, manage corporate and nonprofit invoicing, and manage internal document organization and compliance records. As needed, the Manager, Technology & Operations will help to ensure that renewal deadlines and annual reporting requirements are met for all contracts, government filings, and insurance policies.
Core Skills Required
The Manager, Technology & Operations is a unique, exciting position that will allow you to use and develop a number of different skill-sets. We require that every candidate be or possess:
- At least 2-3 years of relevant office-based administrative or operational work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, bookkeeping, or executive support)
- At least 2-3 years of demonstrable experience in the requirements development, administration, and management of common technology systems, including Salesforce.com and Microsoft Office 365
- A systems thinker, who has a passion for using technology to solve challenges, and can demonstrate an ability to look at disparate processes, understand the core functions needed to run those processes, and envision and evolve systems to support their effective use
- An ability to train non-technical users on technical systems, steward the roll out of new processes and encourage strong user adoption and accountability
- An excellent problem solver and critical thinker who can synthesize information, ask insightful questions, and spot trends quickly
- Flexible and successful in a work environment where competing priorities is the norm; comfortable with ambiguity
- A critical thinker able to identify problems/opportunities for improvement, propose achievable solutions, and recognize when to seek help
- A demonstrated capacity both to work independently and to collaborate within teams
- A strong customer service mindset with the ability to forge and maintain trusting and productive working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external partners.
- Superior attention to details while maintaining an understanding of how they support larger goals
- Experience using discretion and confidentiality when handling and communicating about sensitive or audience-limited topics, such as personnel matters and organizational finances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Committed to working with diverse communities
- Enthusiastic for the mission of Common Impact
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Manager, Technology & Operations – Last Name, First Name” in the subject line.
Your cover letter should address the following questions (this is no time to be modest!):
- Please describe your background in information technology, particularly your experience analyzing business needs and translating them into technology solutions.
- Please describe one experience that you have had working with people whose backgrounds were dissimilar from your own, how this experience was challenging for you, what role you played to mitigate differences, and what you learned about interacting with others as a result.
- What are the skills that you hope to develop in this position?
Please submit your resume and cover letter by November 28, 2018 to receive full and immediate consideration for this position. (We will continue to accept applications after this date, but these applications may not receive full consideration.)
Common Impact is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.