Full-Time Operations and Digital Engagement Associate
Encore.org is a national nonprofit building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world. Originally called Civic Ventures, Encore.org was founded in 1998 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman and grew out of a desire to transform the aging of America—one of the most significant demographic shifts of the 21st century—into a powerful, positive source of individual and social renewal. Our ultimate goal is to create a better future for young people and future generations.
Encore.org’s Generation to Generation (Gen2Gen) Campaign
Generation to Generation is a five-year campaign, powered by Encore.org, to mobilize a million adults 50+ to dedicate their time, talent and experience to help young people thrive, and to unite all generations to create a better future.
While the United States is among the world’s richest countries, millions of children in this country live in poverty and lack the resources and support they need to live fulfilling, successful lives. Reversing this trend must become a national priority—and a key resource for this effort is hidden in plain sight: The millions of Americans moving into their 50s and beyond who want to leave a positive legacy for future generations. Encore’s latest research indicates that 29 percent of adults 50+ are very/extremely interested in participating in the campaign, translating to a receptive target audience in excess of 30 million people.
These two groups—children in need of supportive adult relationships and adults with the time and inclination to fill those roles—fit together like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The campaign will bring them together through three complementary strategies:
- We’ll tell a new story about the power of uniting the generations, using traditional and social media, partnerships, research, stories and more.
- We’ll build a diverse, action-oriented community of people of all ages committed to creating a society where older generations standing up for kids becomes the norm.
- We’ll spur innovation and spread best practices for involving people over 50 in the lives of children and youth.
The Position: Operations and Digital Engagement Associate, Generation to Generation
This full time, non-exempt position reports to the Generation to Generation Operations Director and the Digital Engagement Manager. S/he will provide critical operations and digital engagement coordination and support to the Generation to Generation campaign. S/he will also provide day-to-day operations support for the San Francisco office, located in the Presidio.
The Operations and Digital Engagement Associate will partner with the Operations Director to provide support across the following functions:
- Schedule team meetings, prepare agendas, take notes, and manage documentation. Provide occasional meeting facilitation.
- Coordinate timely submission of expense reimbursements for Gen2Gen team.
- Arrange logistics for Gen2Gen meetings, retreats, conferences, and events (including meals, space and ensuring timely guest access) in concert with the Operations Director and/or Director of Convenings.
- Perform interview scheduling and conduct screening interviews with Gen2Gen job applicants.
- Coordinate Salesforce data integrity through weekly data reviews and data entry.
- Maintain and distribute stock of collateral materials and swag.
- Manage small administrative projects as needed.
Digital Engagement Support
- Provide timely customer support to campaign supporters via email and phone.
- Make simple updates to WordPress website.
- Work with vendors to place orders and retrieve creative assets in a timely manner.
- Upload and schedule social media posts and ads.
- Basic reporting of key mobilization metrics (Google Analytics, Social Media, and Email)
- Help with social media engagement.
- Create, distribute and monitor tracking URL’s created for activations.
- Assist with email list management.
San Francisco Office Support
The Operations and Digital Engagement Associate will support the SF office with the following:
- Collect and distribute the mail and process outgoing USPS, FedEx, UPS.
- Maintain an orderly office environment, including tracking inventory and ordering supplies.
- Manage office voicemail, respond or forward messages as appropriate.
The Operations and Digital Engagement Associate is passionate about the aims of the campaign. S/he is eager to help, takes initiative, and enjoys attending to the smallest details. We are looking for a hardworking and collegial team player with a “no job too small” attitude and a willingness to take on a variety of tasks. This is a great learning opportunity to work with an innovative organization with growth opportunities.
In addition, the ideal applicant will demonstrate:
- An interest in Generation to Generation and Encore.org’s mission and goals.
- Superb communication skills across all mediums that engage and inspire others.
- Ability to take initiative proactively to identify needs and quickly resolve them.
- Organizational skills, including meticulous attention to detail.
- Proficiency with multiple types of technology, including Salesforce, Google Suite, WordPress, internet video conference software, word-processing, spreadsheets, Box, social media post and ad scheduling tools, email management systems, and an interest in leveraging technology to address team challenges.
- Comfort working with a geographically dispersed team.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and people skills, and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage competing demands.
- Track record for providing quality work product in fast paced environment.
- General office work experience; in a nonprofit environment is a plus.
A Note on Encore.org’s Culture
Our staff members are part of a social movement that challenges old norms and seeks to establish a new definition of success in later life. We are a small, geographically distributed team, committed to making a significant impact. We attract people who think about how small investments can yield big results in the service of Encore.org’s mission.
We work hard, and we value our colleagues and the causes we dedicate time to outside of working hours. We understand the importance of commitments—family and otherwise—beyond Encore.org. Vacation time is meant to be used.
As an organization focused on deploying human talent in innovative ways, we try to walk the talk. We strive to have an intergenerational team. We also encourage and sometimes require flexible work; results matter more than face time. Many Encore.org positions require some or a great deal of travel; all require the use and mastery of a growing array of virtual tools.
Perhaps most important, Encore.org is in a period of transition and growth. We work in a dynamic environment that values mutual respect, rapid response to changing conditions or new opportunities, flexibility and intelligence, as well as a sense of humor and humility. Those who thrive tend to be creative, entrepreneurial types who are dedicated to our mission and who know how to execute ambitious plans in a lean environment.
How to Apply
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter describing your interest, qualifications and salary expectations. Cover letters should include a clear response to these two questions:
- What excites you about the Generation to Generation campaign?
- What makes you a great candidate to support this campaign?