Full-Time Philanthropy Advisor
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Philanthropy Advisor will manage relationships with Goodnation donors beginning from their introduction to Goodnation. This will begin with the philanthropic advising process of helping donors find and fund high-performing nonprofits that are meaningful to them and transition to keeping donors informed and engaged as they adjust and improve their giving through Goodnation over time. To be effective, we believe Philanthropy Advisors should also work directly with Goodnation foundations and charities to build a deep understanding of the range and power of the work represented by Goodnation.
About Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors
Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors is a social enterprise that optimizes major donors’ ($5,000 a year+) philanthropy by matching them with top-performing charities. We make it easy to find and fund what matters deeply to our donors, through a mix of the Goodnation Platform and the personal service of Philanthropy Advisors. The Goodnation Philanthropic Advising Platform makes it efficient and engaging for philanthropists to create a customized portfolio of nonprofits that reflect their values and the change they hope to help create. Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors use multiple data sources (including professional foundation grants data) as well as qualitative information directly from professional foundations to select potential grantees for consideration by Goodnation donors on the Platform. Participating nonprofits contribute to cover Goodnation Platform costs, in the form of a small portion of funds received. This also supports Goodnation Platform’s reporting and stewardship functions that encourage further giving.
Goodnation employs a new structure, termed a contract hybrid, consisting of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit called the Goodnation Foundation and a social enterprise called Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors.
Core Duties / Responsibilities
- Work directly with a wide range of donors to use the tools and functionalities of the Goodnation Philanthropic Advising Platform, including the Goodnation Donor Survey.
- Contribute your own knowledge and learning to the Goodnation’s philanthropic advising process.
- Help donors use the Goodnation Donor Survey to match their core values and specific interests with cause areas and charities.
- Interview donors to dig deeper into Survey results.
- Further refine potential charities under consideration based on qualitative information gathered on the preferences of donors.
- Manage each donor’s move through the multiple stages of defining preferences, gathering additional information, funding, receiving updates and renewing gifts.
- Respond in a timely manner to donors’ questions through email, phone or chat.
- Conduct donor site visits, video meetings and phone calls to facilitate donors’ interactions with charity leadership and staff.
- Provide ongoing updates and reports to donors using information provided by charities through the Goodnation platform.
- Grow donors’ giving over time through excellent customer service and ongoing refinements to the donors’ giving plan in relation to the donors’ core values and interests.
- Conduct outreach to potential new charities for the Goodnation Platform, as driven by donor interest.
- Use Goodnation’s database and methodology to research new charities.
- Reach out to charities to gather additional information as requested by donors.
- Interact with charity boards, executive directors, program and development staff to understand charities’ core missions and programs.
- Work directly with Goodnation referral partners including staff at Donor Advised Funds, private wealth managers, and others to source new donors and serve existing donors.
- Collaborate with partner Foundations to learn more about their charity selections, which informs which charities are featured on the Goodnation platform.
Skills, Capabilities and Attributes
- Strong commitment to social enterprise approaches to solve our country and communities’ toughest challenges.
- Capable of working effectively with a wide range of donors.
- Organized and capable of prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- An interest in innovations in giving (and tackling new challenges).
- Knowledge of Hubspot or other CRM a plus, or must be willing to learn.
- Comfortable working with a small but hard-working team.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing work environments.
- Comfortable working with a team as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Previous donor experience in fund development or philanthropy a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree preferred.
Benefits and perks include:
- Medical, dental, and vision
- One Medical membership
- Citi Bike membership
- Unlimited vacation days
This full-time position will be located at Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors’ offices at 42 Bond Street, NYC and will report directly to Goodnation’s Founder. Competitive salary and benefits will be offered.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com outlining why you are the best fit for the role and why you are interested in working for Goodnation. Candidates without a cover letter and resume will not be considered.