Consulting Policy Analyst (Contract Role)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Overview of Future Laboratories
Future Laboratories is a Research and Development laboratory for social change.
Just as Bell Labs came to life a century ago to pursue the technical moonshots of their times, Future Labs exists to pursue moonshots for humanity. But what excites us most is how we do that—our core technology and, in our view, the most inspiring invention even in the digital age: you. People. And not just individuals, but brilliant teams made up of pragmatic idealists across every imaginable discipline who aren’t afraid to envision a new future and bring it to life.
Leveraging the power of collective genius, Future Laboratories identifies the world’s biggest problems, conducting original diagnostic work on society; turns those problems into massive opportunities in the form of products, policies, campaigns, concepts, or brand-new categories; and then builds solutions until they are scaled. Already, we are working on projects across the realms of the future of human potential, the future of America, the future of capitalism, and the future of social change itself. As more inspiring visionaries join our team, each exploration and project takes on new life, since people—above all—are the fuel for our problem-solving engine.
POLICY ANALYST (Contract Role)
We are seeking a Policy Analyst for a contract role (full time September 2018 through December 2019), with the possibility to extend.
Reporting directly to the Senior Lead, Equitable Systems at Future Laboratories, this individual will work on the Project Strategy Team. This role will be dedicated to a Future Laboratories Project focused on actively improving (and one day, solving) Homelessness in the Seattle, Washington Metropolitan Area (King County).
The Seattle/King County Project team will work in collaboration with the Seattle Mayor’s Office and the Office of the Executive for King County, as well as in partnership with local government systems to review regulations, local/state policy implementation history and apply rigorous scientific methods and statistical analyses to better understand the causes and correlates of homelessness in the Seattle/King County region. Critically, you are also responsible for translating scientifically communicated findings into formats accessible to internal project teams and the wider public (i.e., research synthesis and recommendations for action based on findings).
For this role, we are looking for candidates who epitomize teamwork, effortlessly connect dots and build relationships, and proactively identify needs to maximize our collective impact. While this is a contract position, this role will be strongly integrated into the fabric of the Seattle Project Team and have access to opportunities to learn more about broader Future Laboratories Initiatives, as interested.
As our Policy Analyst, you will be accountable for the following…
Content Review & Analysis (50%)
- Create detailed and high level overviews of the various relevant policy positions and governing bodies that oversee homelessness response and prevention with a focus on the Seattle, Washington and King County Region
- Develop multiple stakeholder maps
- Work with the program team to develop a comprehensive analysis of the services in the King County region that are currently supporting people experiencing homelessness
- Analyze and map the network of systems that provide support to people experiencing homelessness in Seattle and King County
- Accurately analyze and understand the over 1 billion dollars in funding that goes into addressing homelessness in Seattle/King County annually
Direct Research & Synthesis (20-25%)
- Engage with key stakeholders of the homelessness prevention and response system to evaluate what they fund and how they measure impact through direct correspondence, interviews, etc.
- Conduct supplementary research to understand the policy positions around homelessness that originate from different governing bodies and be able to represent their impact
- Manage a SWOT analysis of the Seattle/King County homelessness network in partnership with the Sr. Lead, Equitable Systems and Project Strategy Leadership
- Produce related deliverables with content analysis and research synthesis to be used in support of more formal recommendations, as required
Recommendations and Project Team Planning Support (20-25%)
- Leverage SWOT analysis to support the development of recommendations for systems integration, including program de-duplication, program development and other analysis as needed
- Create a meaningful framework of metrics
- Attend key meetings with the Project Team and related partners to discuss analysis and propose new directions with Future Laboratories staff as well as external stakeholders (in-person and remote).
- Potentially attend in person meeting in Seattle approx. 2-3 times over the course of the project
- Work with the policy team to develop a set of recommendations on structures for effective governance and program management that will assist Seattle/King County in effectively ending homelessness
- Collaborate with the Project Team around the development of the final product being created by Future Laboratories with the rest of the partner team
We’re looking for someone who…
- Has at least 3-5 years of academic or professional policy research experience, particularly in homelessness, public health, human services, housing, public assistance, or a related field
- Has strong organization and written/oral communication skills
- Can organize disjointed facets into coherent systems
- Has experience with systems and network analysis, developing metrics, and developing and launching large initiatives
- Has knowledge of governance at multiple levels
- Is extremely flexible and able to adapt to quickly shifting priorities and goals
- Is highly collaborative and has a track record of success coordinating across a team
- Is a self-starter who is equally happy working independently and collaboratively.
- Is organized and methodical in all facets of their professional life
- Persists in the face of difficulty, past the point where most people would have given up
Ideal candidates may have some combination of the following…
- Professional experience as a policy analyst
- Professional experience as a consulting analyst
- Professional as a research analyst at a company
- An undergraduate degree
- A demonstrated commitment to social change
Future Labs is committed to building a team that represents diverse, multi-disciplinary perspectives. There is no single ideal educational or professional background that is best suited for this role. Rather, we are looking for someone excited to use the strengths of rigorous, scientific research to inform social change.
The Future Laboratories team is based in New York City, at our new HQ located on Union Square West.
What To Expect
Once we hear from you, we’ll be in touch to schedule some conversations. As we get to know each other and mutually choose to move forward, we’ll have you make something meaningful with us, and we’ll see how that feels. Typically, this is a mix of remote (phone / Google Hangout or Zoom conference) and in-person conversations that range from one-on-one to multi-team / person panels. We do our best to ensure you know who you’re meeting at each stage of the process!
We look forward to having our Policy Analyst in place as soon as possible.
Future Laboratories is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, alienage or citizenship status, ancestry, nationality, national origin, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Future Laboratories will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply
Only applications submitted via our job site will be considered for review. SUBMIT APPLICATIONS ON OUR JOB SITE HERE