Consulting Product Designer – Shea Roasting Project
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Burro® sells quality products that help our customers save more and earn more. From simple innovations like our home solar power systems, to the world’s most fuel-efficient gari roaster, the Elephant™, Burro products deliver better living affordably. Our collaborative, innovative, and dynamic team is making a real difference in the lives of real people across Ghana and beyond. You’re welcome to join in the magic Burro is creating.
Shea butter is a traditionally processed commodity vital to the livelihoods of tens of thousands of women in Ghana — and millions more across the West African savanna. The traditional roasting techniques used to produce shea butter have low labor productivity, waste increasingly scarce firewood, and subject families to terrible health burdens from exposure to smoke. We can change that. Burro and Burn Design Lab collaborated to secure a $125,000 grant as part of USAID’s Feed the Future initiative to develop and produce a new, clean-burning, high-efficiency system for roasting the kernels of shea nuts.
Burro is looking for an experienced product designer to collaborate with Burro, Burn Design Lab, and Ghanaian shea butter-producing co-ops on the design of an improved roaster for shea nuts. Specific duties include:
- Collaborate both remotely and in-person with BDL and Burro’s design teams
- Use human-centered design techniques to confirm existing design brief
- Generate ideas for roaster designs and methods based on user-research and field testing
- Contribute to iterative prototyping of new methods and design ideas using Burro’s in-house fabrication space and Ghanaian artisans to create prototypes
- Lead user-testing of prototypes and new design ideas to narrow the design directions to those with the greatest potential to satisfy the design brief and become commercially-viable solutions
- A degree in Design, preferably Product Design, with strong portfolio including innovations designed specifically for affordability and functionality at the base of the pyramid
- Manual and digital fabrication experience (CAD, woodworking, welding etc.)
- Willing to travel to Ghana at least twice for a minimum of three weeks per trip
- Passion for delivering on Burro’s promise—Do More
- Experience with cookstove design and/or knowledge in the shea sector will be helpful, but not required
How to Apply
Send a CV and portfolio link to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15th October, 2018. Email should have the subject line: Shea Product Design