Full-Time Program Director, Chicago
Report to: Chief Program Officer, U.S.
Location: Chicago, IL
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday; up to one Saturday per month during academic year for large-scale regional events
How to apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume: buildOnUSjobs@buildon.org
- MISSION: Understanding of a commitment to buildOn’s mission, methodology, and core values.
- GRIT: Tries really hard and never gives up on mission and getting results.
- METHODOLOGY: Demonstrates mastery and discipline around methodology.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT: Leads by example and elevates expectations around performance. Demonstrates or develops competencies around coaching and performance management.
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 underserved high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.1 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1,300 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.0 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role
The Program Director oversees all activities of buildOn’s Service Learning Program across a U.S. Programs region to drive student outcomes and achieve KPI targets. In doing so, the Program Director directly manages and leads hiring processes for the regional program team. In addition to regional program management, the Program Director plays a lead role in internal collaboration around fund development opportunities, marketing initiatives, special events, and elevating students’ voice. The Program Director also represents the region amongst internal staff and external stakeholders, manages regional office space, and helps shape national strategy as a member of the U.S. Programs Leadership Team.
- Oversee all activities to drive student outcomes through quality Service Learning Programs across the region.
- Develop the buildOn movement by achieving regional Key Performance Indicator targets to engage 2,800 students to contribute 9,100 service hours every month, focusing on direct service (70%).
- Directly manage a team of staff including weekly 515s, performance evaluation process, and ongoing coaching and support.
- Lead hiring processes to recruit, vet, & hire passionate, persistent, and talented individuals to join the team.
- Oversee and lead regional collaboration with Immersions team around immersive experiences, including 36 Hours and Partnership Program
- Oversee and lead regional collaboration with Development and Marketing teams around fund development opportunities, special events, and external communications to elevate student voice.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and timely regional data through Salesforce.
- Oversee the planning and execution of all regional events, including Service Kick Off, Citywide Service, Celebrate buildOn!, and other large-scale events.
- Establish, develop, and maintain strategic partnerships including with school principals, school district officials, and key community partners.
- Oversee regional Trek recruitment to meet goals and support processes to ensure students complete the Trek experience – before, during, and after travel.
- Manage the regional program budget, including monthly account reconciliation and expense reporting.
- Support national strategy as a member of buildOn U.S. Leadership Team.
- Support management of regional office space.
- Represent regional team internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, world
- Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
- Proven record of significant, measurable results in nonprofit program management, including but not limited to leading a team to achieve high quality results on scale, effective staff performance management, and collaboration across functions to support organizational priorities (3-5 years)
- Driven to achieve goals
- Strategic to investigate, plan, execute, and reflect with focus to continuously increase effectiveness
- Superb skills to build relationships with staff, students, school and community partners, and donors
- Organized and disciplined with time to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent communicator
- Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Advanced knowledge of regional school district(s), educational and nonprofit landscape
- Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities
- Relevant educational background (Master’s degree preferred)
How to Apply
Email cover letter & resume to buildOnUSjobs@buildon.org