Full-Time Program Information and Communications Associate
Princeton in Africa (PiAf) is an independent non-profit organization based in Princeton, NJ. Princeton in Africa helps future leaders develop lifelong connections to the people and nations of Africa. We offer highly selective year-long fellowships to recent college graduates with organizations across the African continent; we enable our Fellows, through their work, to make significant contributions to Africa’s well-being; and we encourage our Fellows to cultivate meaningful relationships with communities in Africa and with one another. We seek to achieve this by placing bright, hardworking, passionate recent college graduates with our incredible fellowship organizations for yearlong fellowship opportunities across the continent. Our program is open to graduates from any accredited U.S. college or university, and our host organizations include large organizations like the International Rescue Committee and Clinton Health Access Initiative as well as smaller start-ups and grassroots organizations, and even multinational companies. During our 2017-18 fellowship year, we will have 48 fellows from 38 different colleges and universities working with 31 organizations in 13 African countries. Find out more about us at www.princetoninafrica.org.
POSITION: The Program Information & Communications Associate reports to the Program Director and the Executive Director.
PURPOSE: Assist Princeton in Africa with keeping all aspects of the fellowship program running smoothly by providing programmatic support, as well as helping to spread the word about Princeton in Africa by developing compelling, informative communications materials.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (include but not limited to):
FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Assist Program Director and Program Manager in keeping detailed records of Fellows’ information including: Create, organize and disseminate resources for program-related activities such as the Fellows’ VITALS, travel calendars, Google Docs and spreadsheets, Terms & Conditions documents, program timelines and schedules, etc.
- Notify Fellows of relevant safety, health and other travel advisories in a timely manner.
- Communicate with Fellows about documentation they are required to submit to PiAf including materials they submit when accepting posts, when traveling and when making reports, and keep all files updated and organized.
- Manage fellowship data including applications, review report forms and interview report forms.
- Assist Program Director and Program Manager with organization, logistics and execution of program events, including application review, interviews, placements, orientation, and mid-year retreat.
- Manage PiAf Fellows’ Reports Database, including editing program reports and posting them to the Reports Database.
- Communicate relevant program information to applicants, Fellows, board members and alumni, as directed by Executive Director and Program Director.
- Keep detailed track of program schedules and timelines and submit all work in a timely manner.
- Assist Program Manager in supporting alumni development efforts including tracking program alumni, organizing alumni events, and maintaining alumni website/database.
- Assist Program Manager in managing PiAf applications email account.
- Provide other program support, as requested.
- Assist the Executive Director and Program Director in the fellowship organization selection process by organizing the fellowship organization application and managing MOUs for each fellowship organization.
PROGRAM COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT
- Manage production of all communications materials including PiAf’s Fellows Flyers (bimonthly e-newsletter) and annual report (hard copy and electronic version), and all email campaigns.
- Update PiAf fact sheet as well as applicant and fellowship organization brochures, yearly.
- Maintain PiAf website, including relevant updates for applicants, host organizations and alumni, with the assistance of a website consultant.
- Maintain the alumni website, with the assistance of the site’s website developer.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, lead PiAf’s social media campaign, including the creation and measurement of on-message materials for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Develop other printed and electronic communications materials and provide other communications support, as requested.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree, with preference for focus on international or African studies, nonprofit management, or similar field related to our work or focus on communications, English or other discipline relevant to the job.
- Prior work or internship experience in a professional environment.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong English writing skills.
- Database management experience, including strong Excel skills
- Social media experience
- Proficient in other Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, adjust to sudden shifts in priorities, and maintain a good sense of humor.
- Willing and available to work occasional nights and weekends throughout the year.
- Experience working with WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite a plus, but not required.
- Interest in learning about the African continent is a plus.
- Full-time employment
- Salary Range: $29,000 – $32,000
- Competitive benefits package
- Position located in Princeton, NJ
How to Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter, and a 1 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is March 15, 2018, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.