NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Receptionist plays a visible role in ensuring a timely, professional, and welcoming response to inquiries by parents and other constituents. The Receptionist functions as the initial contact person for students, teachers, families, vendors, and visitors, and must be able to communicate effectively with all groups. The Receptionist will also support the Office Manager with administrative tasks. The Receptionist reports to the Director of Operations and works from 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.
Operations team members at Uncommon work relentlessly to ensure that faculty maximizes time and energy on student achievement. They design, implement, and refine systems that anticipate the needs of the school community. As a service-oriented team, they solve problems, share best practices across campuses, and respond to urgent needs. They partner to create an academic and cultural environment which supports our ultimate goal: ensuring that every Uncommon student will earn a college degree.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to)
- Serve as the main point of contact in the school reception area;
- Greet and document all visitors (signing in visitors, ensuring that students only leave with authorized parents/guardians, monitoring and controlling access to the school, etc.);
- Direct vendors to delivery locations;
- Manage phones (answering calls, re-directing calls, taking messages, placing calls, etc.);
- Receive, track, and issue receipts for all incoming student fees;
- Manage the collection of student, personnel, and school information (receiving forms and paperwork, tracking missing forms, updating contact information, etc.);
- Support school events and activities as needed (making photocopies, setting up for special events, making phone calls to confirm attendance, etc.);
- Manage mail (distributing received mail, preparing school mailings, etc.);
- Maintain the professional appearance of the reception area;
- Other administrative support as assigned.
- Be present and engaged Monday through Friday from 6:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- Work periodic evenings (school wide events such as report card conferences, student performances, etc.)
- 1-2 years of office experience
- Communicates well with others and demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues, and community members
- Must enjoy contact with students and parents
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Displays maturity and ability to work independently
- Has the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred
- Spanish or Portuguese language skills preferred, but not required
- Able to lift and move packages up to 30 lbs
- Bachelor’s degree preferred