Full-Time Seed Production Associate
The Seed Production Agronomist/Breeder will bring years of seed production experience to this venture ensuring its success. This venture will accelerate a current seed production farm from open-pollinated maize seed varieties to large scale production of hybrid maize seed. As such, the Seed Production Expert’s responsibilities will include:
- Providing detailed agronomic advice to the farm team (around 30 employees, inc. farm manager and an agronomist) at all stages of seed production including field preparation, planting rates/methods, best practices for timing male and female parent planting, crop care management, harvesting and all specific procedures to hybrid seed production.
- Make pre-planting decisions, guide field preparation, and provide clear plans ahead of key growth stages of the seed crop.
- Support the team with regular training in identification of key yield impacting time points and agronomic practices specific to hybrid seed production
- Give guidance in due time to ensure that seed production fields will pass certification on inspection
- Ensure that the highest quality crop is produced and the least post-harvest losses are incurred
- Enforce best-practices in handling and storage of seed across the site to prevent contamination by pests or disease, in addition to providing advice on seed treatment and packaging
- Working with the Seed Partnerships Lead you will also provide guidance on short and long term seed production management and strategy; in addition to ensuring that daily implementation/management of the seed company is carried out to your recommendation.
This role will enable you to add your expertise to a brand new and rapidly expanding seed company/sector. As our technical expert, you will convert your experience in seed production systems and breeding into positive farmer impact in Rwanda. Do you want to be part of a new seed venture aimed at supplying hybrid seed for Rwanda?
Qualifications Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for extraordinary professionals who will help take One Acre Fund to the next levels of impact and scale. ** This is a competitive posting for a career–track role. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of managing visible, high-performing seed production and/or breeding activities
- Seed sector knowledge:
- Advanced degree (minimum MSc) in agronomy, plant sciences, biology, plant breeding or a related field is required
- 5-10 years of working experience in the seed production/breeding sector is required
- Applicants without a relevant MSc will be considered, but must have 15 + years of experience in crop seed production
- Experience with seed breeding is strongly preferred
- Professional/technical skills:
- Experience in field management of commercial hybrid maize seed production
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Ability to effectively work with and manage people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal communication
- Outstanding responsiveness to feedback: We firmly believe that the ability to act on both reinforcing and redirecting feedback is the fastest way to grow. As a team, we give and expect to receive open and frank feedback, both to our reports and to our managers. Candidates should exhibit an ability to take feedback as a chance to improve, and know how to give feedback in a constructive manner.
- Humility: In everything One Acre Fund does, we put farmers first. We do this by approaching our work and individual growth with humility, efficiency, and compassion.
- Language: English fluency required; Kinyarwanda or French is a strong bonus
Preferred Start Date
1st November 2018
Commensurate with experience
Generous paid time off, health insurance, any required immunizations, flight benefits, housing and food stipends
Sponsor International Candidates
How to Apply